Slaughter Question.

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Posted here to avoid alot of the flack associated with the subject...figured to weed out the BS slingers.

Have been approached by a Muslum man wanting to know if I would slaughter for him according to his religious practice. He is aware that he would pay a premium price for the steer and the slaughter. This could be a real profitable niche market and I would be glad to sell 9 or 10 wt animals for 150mwt...all day long.
Will have to add a head gate and removable side walls to the kill pen but that's no problem.
Does any one have any experience with this method of slaughter? Any help is appreciated.
PMs would be appreciated.
Thanks....Dve Mc

I think I would check with my state authorities on this one. I know the packer we use has processed goats for various ethnic groups and to tell the truth, their approach to the actual killing of the animal is borderline barbaric. Actually, I thought the Muslim folks revered the cow as holy ?

I know a family who has beef cattle and chickens and the man was approached by a Jewish person who asked if he would kill and sell him chickens according to his directions for a considerable extra price. He agreed to try it and has built a very good business and keeps adding on by catering to this group. He raises the chickens free range and kills them a certain way and cannot keep up with the demand. It sounds like a very lucrative opportunity, depending on whether you have the time and want to get involved with it. Good luck.

Did it with goats and sheep--

No legal problem(in NC) as long as you sold the animal alive and they killed it. Which most wanted to do anyhow.

Some had a "religious" person come out to specifically kill the animal for them ---

Might need an insurance policy to cover if they cut off their arm or broke their leg while they were paying to be on your place-just to be safe.

They paid good-- biggest thing was disposing of the ofal for them
They liked to have appointments- and they kept them :)
Unlike the Hispanics who just like to drop in when the mood hits them.

As far as the kill method being barbaric-- not at all. A quick prayer A very sharp knife and a quick thorough slice across the neck.
All the ones I had out were very efficient.

It's called "Halal" slaughter. You can look up the specs on the USDA website.

I believe it entails bleeding the animal to death and blessing it while doing so. I'm sure there's more but you'll have to have a Muslim preacher? on hand to carry out the ceremony.

Dave
There is a guy over here on the west side who has done very well providing meat animals (pigs, sheep, goats, and cattle) to various ethnic groups. I am sure this includes Muslims.
He even has one group that only take unaltered bulls that are not black. I guess CAB is against their religion. But it gives him a market for those odd ball 900 pound bulls that someone should have cut, as long as they aren't black.