Slaughter houses

Help Support CattleToday:

3fifty7

Reaction score
Yesterday we picked 300 lbs. of ground beef and chuck roasts and to my suprise everything was vaccum pacled. It was actually pretty shocking for a moment. All my life the meat we have gotten from this slaughter house has been wrapped in brown butchers paper then they switched to white butchers paper(no big deal) but now clear vaccum packing it just doesnt seem right. Say what you want about technology making things better and lasting longer but too many times I have defrosted ground beef that was two years old that had been properly wrapped that nobody could tell from fresh ground beef.

thye packing houses are keeping up with the times.theres prolly some small packing houses that still use the white butcher paper to wrapp their meat in.

I just got mine back and it was in plastic and then white butcher paper. how do they write on the vacumn sealed bag what it is?

5minpins":2jxsexzd said:
I just got mine back and it was in plastic and then white butcher paper. how do they write on the vacumn sealed bag what it is?

Ours uses a printed sticker with the customer name, what the cut is and the date it was packaged

They didnt label ours it was only grounr beef or a cuuck roast but in other cases they have a label maker similar to a supermarket.

well that makes it easy then. Mine was still the old fashioned rubber stamp or hand written.

Ours still uses the freezer paper and stamps it with the rubber stamp. I sort of like it this way. Makes it stack better in the freezer than the vac pack.

Vacuum packing has come and gone from our area. It seem that if you leave bones in the meat, it pokes a hole in the package and your seal is broken. Most around here wrap it with the plastic film then wrap it in paper.

We had one vacuum sealed about 10 years ago, I don't think the meat lasted as long as the paper wrap. I know that there is still at least one place around us that still does the vacuum sealing, it cost more.

We had to use a new place this time around, Hoffarts went out of business, white butcher paper, wrapped very good. Also, even uniform packages, makes for easier stacking in freezer.

mom

The vacumn sealed meat and produce will last MUCH longer in a freezer that any other method. I remember the butcher paper as well and when we would butcher a hog the meat (especially the sausage) would not last more than a year before it started tasting a little rancid. We've got sausage in the freezer right now that's been there for four years and last week we had some for breakfast and it was perfect. I wouldn't use anything but vacumn seal now.

Just my two cents worth. :)

Latest posts