Sky Found These

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3d7nz41i said:
http://www.luckygunner.com/20-ga-2-3-4-1-buck-9pellet-rio-royal-25-rounds

Makes my 20 bad to the bone with modified choke.

#1 is what I keep in my truck gun. I to shoot a 20. Things seem just as dead as if I had shot them with a 12

Bigfoot":395sx6f7 said:
Caustic Burno":395sx6f7 said:

#1 is what I keep in my truck gun. I to shoot a 20. Things seem just as dead as if I had shot them with a 12

Doesn't matter if the pellet comes out of a 410 or 12 gauge at 1250 fps they have the same power.

Until recently over the counter 20 gauge came in #2 or 3's only.
After #1's that are.30 caliber things get too tight to go larger in the 20 gauge.
Standard modified on a bore gauge for the 20 mics at .600 different manufacturers will vary slightly.

Caustic Burno":38tqushj said:
Bigfoot":38tqushj said:
Caustic Burno":38tqushj said:

Doesn't matter if the pellet comes out of a 410 or 12 gauge at 1250 fps they have the same power.

Until recently over the counter 20 gauge came in #2 or 3's only.
After #1's that are.30 caliber things get too tight to go larger in the 20 gauge.
Standard modified on a bore gauge for the 20 mics at .600 different manufacturers will vary slightly.

Dumb question. I shoot them through a double barrel. One barrel is mod, and she ne is full. Any danger? Hadn't blowed up yet.

Caustic Burno":2al38s2o said:

I may need to see if I can order them and ship to VA if they shoot well I would put in my 20 gauge and let my son get used to it before switching to a 12. Thanks for sharing. What yardage do you pattern your guns at ?

No such thing as a dumb question .
Full by the book is .590 that is getting mighty tight if two .30 get side by side down the barrel.
Most likely in the full the pellets would get flattened and cause flyers.
I definitely wouldn't try it with an extra full turkey choke.
American chokes tend to run more open than European models.

This is the Trulock site and gives you actually diameter for their chokes.

https://trulockchokes.com/?target=choke ... 5B42%5D=42

skyhightree1":3e55jj2y said:
Caustic Burno":3e55jj2y said:

I may need to see if I can order them and ship to VA if they shoot well I would put in my 20 gauge and let my son get used to it before switching to a 12. Thanks for sharing. What yardage do you pattern your guns at ?

40 yards it will keep all 9 on a 9 inch paper plate.
I am shooting a Trulock precision hunter choke.

CB guess what.... They switched my county to be able to use rifles now... Dog hunting is on its way out I would venture to say within the next 10 years.

Caustic Burno":10k0c4od said:
skyhightree1":10k0c4od said:
Caustic Burno":10k0c4od said:

I have custom made chokes I think I told you before my 30 inch 12 gauge guns shoot almost like a rifle.. I never shot a 20 gauge so not sure what kind of yardage and pattern to expect. That gives me a good point to start. How is the killing power on deer ? Kids here have shot deer with # 3 buck and dropped them or either they ran like h E L L for a long distance lol

skyhightree1":3js2n553 said:
CB guess what.... They switched my county to be able to use rifles now... Dog hunting is on its way out I would venture to say within the next 10 years.

That's the beginning of the end.
Follow the money they slowly weaned us.
The irony is to watch the camo clad city hunter show up with a AR-15 or 300 mag and you can't see past 50 yards.
They will look at you like your nuts for toting a shotgun.

Caustic Burno":1ggu749j said:
skyhightree1":1ggu749j said:

That's the beginning of the end.
Follow the money they slowly weaned us.
The irony is to watch the camo clad city hunter show up with a AR-15 or 300 mag and you can't see past 50 yards.
They will look at you like your nuts for toting a shotgun.

You are exactly right.. I love my dog hunting but lately its became a headache with these young guys doing stuff thats making it harder on everyone. I don't know whats going to happen because as long as its .23 caliber and over its fair game if i remember what the rule book said.

skyhightree1":1vxel7yb said:
Caustic Burno":1vxel7yb said:
skyhightree1":1vxel7yb said:

I have custom made chokes I think I told you before my 30 inch 12 gauge guns shoot almost like a rifle.. I never shot a 20 gauge so not sure what kind of yardage and pattern to expect. That gives me a good point to start. How is the killing power on deer ? Kids here have shot deer with # 3 buck and dropped them or either they ran like h E L L for a long distance lol

No different than a 12 the shot to powder ratio is the same on both.

I use to use federal and Remington much shot and seems something has changed and quality has went downhill... The cheap Winchester shells shoot great and hard so I've been using them. This may be a good alternative brand you posted for 12 gauge too.

skyhightree1":7c9ze1s3 said:
I use to use federal and Remington much shot and seems something has changed and quality has went downhill... The cheap Winchester shells shoot great and hard so I've been using them. This may be a good alternative brand you posted for 12 gauge too.

Look at the FPS anything 1200 to 1300 range is pretty good stuff.
Most of the magnum stuff is low velocity meant to get the hunter.

Here is an example of tons of this stuff is sold. It has more pellets and longer it must be better mentality.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/29364 ... s-box-of-5
Doesn't matter if it is 28 gauge or 10 maximum pressure is 13000 psi.
If you increase the payload you have to reduce the powder.
Again powder to shot is equal in all gauges increasing payload doesn't make a shotgun more effective.
It is about pattern a 28 ga is designed for a 3/4 oz load 20 for 7/8 16 for 1 and so on . Bigger doesn't make better
Drams of powder shot equivalent hasn't changed since back powder loading.

Caustic Burno":184uxtxc said:
skyhightree1":184uxtxc said:

Look at the FPS anything 1200 to 1300 range is pretty good stuff.
Most of the magnum stuff is low velocity meant to get the hunter.

Here is an example of tons of this stuff is sold. It has more pellets and longer it must be better mentality.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/29364 ... s-box-of-5
Doesn't matter if it is 28 gauge or 10 maximum pressure is 13000 psi.
If you increase the payload you have to reduce the powder.
Again powder to shot is equal in all gauges increasing payload doesn't make a shotgun more effective.
It is about pattern a 28 ga is designed for a 3/4 oz load 20 for 7/8 16 for 1 and so on . Bigger doesn't make better
Drams of powder shot equivalent hasn't changed since back powder loading.

Thanks I will tell you what I had some deer tote some #1 some distance blood everywhere. I couldn't belive it You ever had that happen?

Sky I have shot them to doll rags and actually had to throw away both shoulders to having them drop in their tracks from one buckshot.
That's been with double aught as well.
I have a model 97 that I know that has killed over 200 with #1's.
It gets back to that pesky pattern and getting them in the boiler room.

Caustic Burno":2oxboxrt said:
Sky I have shot them to doll rags and actually had to throw away both shoulders to having them drop in their tracks from one buckshot.
That's been with double aught as well.
I have a model 97 that I know that has killed over 200 with #1's.
It gets back to that pesky pattern and getting them in the boiler room.

00 AND 000 Never have many issues but # 1 is a whole other story. I use to shoot Remington a lot and it mostly happened with those. I switched to federal but that white crap kept falling out a lot so then switched to Winchester. I am satisfied with the 00 never shot any #1's though.

Latest posts