Skunk

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
We've got a skunk roving around our place. Yesterday my wife went to turn on some irrigation and yelled to come over. It scuttled away then and disappeared. This morning she was parking the ATV and I was feeding the cows. Had the dog out and when she brought the ATV over the dog goes flying over to say hi and try to hitch a ride. Right as she got there I saw the little skunk "friend" go waddling across between them and me. I haven't seen my wife so animated since the last time she thought there was a black widow around. No one go sprayed, but it will be interesting to see what tomorrow morning brings. I sure hope I don't go 3 for 3 with seeing that little guy.

M-5":14blfemn said:
if you catch him ram your finger in his butthole. I hear that's how you keep them from spraying you.

You sorry devil. :lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: :clap: :hide:

Give him a few days, or a week or so. He'll be on his merry little way. I would be surprised if it sticks around.

Since you know its hanging around, to avoid any spray issues, just don't let the dog run loose at the times its around. ;-)

M-5":2178dg50 said:
if you catch him ram your finger in his butthole. I hear that's how you keep them from spraying you.

You know, I'm not expert on skunk anatomy. Maybe you can do a video and show us all how it's done. :banana:

I was actually thinking about catching it in a live trap, with some larger rocks already in it. Throw a blanket over it, throw the whole thing in the retention pond we have and then get myself a pelt. But I figure this is going to sideways somehow and I'm going to get sprayed, so I'm just going to just let him be.

I do know a guy that killed one put it in a rubbermaid container and in the freezer to keep till he could get it to a taxidermy. A few weeks later wife went to freezer and everything was ruined.

M-5":e3rrldvw said:
I do know a guy that killed one put it in a rubbermaid container and in the freezer to keep till he could get it to a taxidermy. A few weeks later wife went to freezer and everything was ruined.

I can only imagine how that evening went. :hide:

Bestoutwest":3r83thly said:
We've got a skunk roving around our place. Yesterday my wife went to turn on some irrigation and yelled to come over. It scuttled away then and disappeared. This morning she was parking the ATV and I was feeding the cows. Had the dog out and when she brought the ATV over the dog goes flying over to say hi and try to hitch a ride. Right as she got there I saw the little skunk "friend" go waddling across between them and me. I haven't seen my wife so animated since the last time she thought there was a black widow around. No one go sprayed, but it will be interesting to see what tomorrow morning brings. I sure hope I don't go 3 for 3 with seeing that little guy.

I kill everyone I can they carry rabies here like crazy

Bestoutwest":13bwl0mx said:
M-5":13bwl0mx said:

You know, I'm not expert on skunk anatomy. Maybe you can do a video and show us all how it's done. :banana:

I was actually thinking about catching it in a live trap, with some larger rocks already in it. Throw a blanket over it, throw the whole thing in the retention pond we have and then get myself a pelt. But I figure this is going to sideways somehow and I'm going to get sprayed, so I'm just going to just let him be.

My daughter is a trapping little fool. Long story short, she was pretty excited to catch her first skunk and couldn't stand the thought of not having a skunk to hang on the wall. Turns out that FnT Post sells them ready to hang for cheap. I'll burn in he?? for lying, but I didn't have to skin a skunk. :nod:

Just get a standard box trap. After setting it in a likely spot, cover it with a tarp. Leave the door end uncovered but with enough slack to pull down over that end. Tie a long string to that slack end of the tarp. Once you catch Mr Skunk pull that string to cover the entire trap. Mr Skunk will think he is hid and remain quiet. Slide in a hose connected to an exhaust pipe under the tarp and gas the little sucker. No muss, no fuss, no stick, just a dead skunk.

Dave":22o8nb8n said:
Just get a standard box trap. After setting it in a likely spot, cover it with a tarp. Leave the door end uncovered but with enough slack to pull down over that end. Tie a long string to that slack end of the tarp. Once you catch Mr Skunk pull that string to cover the entire trap. Mr Skunk will think he is hid and remain quiet. Slide in a hose connected to an exhaust pipe under the tarp and gas the little sucker. No muss, no fuss, no stick, just a dead skunk.

Dave, you've put a lot of thought into this before haven't you :lol2:

JMJ Farms":2jz67yvg said:
Dave":2jz67yvg said:

I don't know about putting a lot of though. But I have caught lots of skunks back when I ran a long line for coyotes. Catch a skunk in a foothold trap, shoot it, and it sprays every time. People knew I trapped and would ask me to catch one around their house. Some other trapper explained this method to me. It works. It is best to weight down the edges of the tarp so the gas doesn't escape.

Dave":1zmtqpto said:
JMJ Farms":1zmtqpto said:
Dave":1zmtqpto said:

I don't know about putting a lot of though. But I have caught lots of skunks back when I ran a long line for coyotes. Catch a skunk in a foothold trap, shoot it, and it sprays every time. People knew I trapped and would ask me to catch one around their house. Some other trapper explained this method to me. It works. It is best to weight down the edges of the tarp so the gas doesn't escape.
What did you use for bait?

I shot 2 in my garden on different nights and neither of those sprayed, but they never never saw me (or it) coming..no trap involved.

The one I caught in a conibear sure did tho and he had already died before I discovered him.

5S Cattle":1j7vxu0g said:
Dave":1j7vxu0g said:
JMJ Farms":1j7vxu0g said:

Kind of depended. If it was robbing cat food I would use that. I had good luck with fishy things. Tuna usually worked. A variety of things I used for coyotes but those would be in bigger batches than most people would need. A favorite was one third sardines, one third lard, and one third blue cheese. Melt the lard and run all three together through a blender. The biggest thing is location. You want the trap set where the skunk normally travels.

Nesikep":2cv1k0eq said:
if you get it in a trap I'd shoot through the trap with a .22 and blow is head off

Do that and I guarantee it will spray. If you must shoot one use a low power load. CB caps work. Shoot it in the lungs. Stay low when dealing with them. There biggest natural enemy are Great Horned Owls. Things from above tend to scare them.

perhaps try and trap it away from the house.. if it sprays at least you nor the house are too close
sure glad we don't have any here

I was always taught that a skunk couldn't spray if it couldn't get its tail up in the air. One Sunday morning I had the opportunity to find out as we were called to a rabid skunk in the backyard. I was able to get into a position to shoot down on the skunk's tail with 00 buck and it never had a chance to raise it. There was a slight smell but nothing like a spray.

Dave":rfgty1ol said:
5S Cattle":rfgty1ol said:
Dave":rfgty1ol said:

Kind of depended. If it was robbing cat food I would use that. I had good luck with fishy things. Tuna usually worked. A variety of things I used for coyotes but those would be in bigger batches than most people would need. A favorite was one third sardines, one third lard, and one third blue cheese. Melt the lard and run all three together through a blender. The biggest thing is location. You want the trap set where the skunk normally travels.
Gracias. We have a bounty on them at work

Latest posts