skunk oder remedies

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I heard a ruckus outside that sounded like my red heeler Boaz was into a fight with something. I went to the sliding door that exits my bedroom and opened it up to see what was the matter. He shot right by me like a rocket sled on rails with a skunk in his mouth. He came out of the dark like a shot. I didn't even have time to blink much less close the door. He ran directly under my bed with the skunk. The skunk had sprayed him but he got even and killed it. Now he smells like a skunk, my house smells like a skunk and my carpet smells like a skunk. I had to wrestle the skunk from him and throw it and him out. Now I smell like a skunk. Just got out of the shower and wife is steam cleaning the carpet. Any suggestions on what to use to neutralize skunk odor?

Open your windows and go on vacation for about 3 weeks.

Eli got lit by a skunk a few months ago. I bathed him in Dawn to cut the oil in the scent. He still stunk. Washed again and again and finally figured it was imbedded in his collar. Soaked it in vinegar for a night and that helped.

Nothing works better than time. Its an oil based scent so you have to cut the oil somehow. Good luck.

try scent neutralizer that you hunt with and see how good it is. If that doesn't work try febreeze .. If that doesn't work sell the house with furniture and all... it may seem crazy but mix water and baking soda and try spraying spots to see if it kills odor too. I have never had that issue before let me know what works. for the dog try tomato juice

I am afraid time is the only remedy. One was trapped in a live trap under my MIL house last year. It took a lot of time to get the smell out.

I just remembered some stuff I had in my taxidermy supplies called malagon. It is an odor neutralizer used on goats hides and skunks. I sprayed the carpet with it and I can tell a difference already. I have scented candles lit too. fortunately I got him out in about 20 seconds. I still can't get the scent completely off my hands.

Having been sprayed by a skunk and then forced to publicly strip stark naked in the driveway so my wife could hose me off and then watching her burn my clothes, I can sympathize Hoss - but at the same time I have to laugh - I can just picture it all happening.

A short bit of pandemonium and about three weeks of odour - so get used to it - the best part is??? When it gets rainy, you are going to smell it again. And again. And again ......

But it will eventually go away.

Realistically you can clean, you can de-odourize and you can spray scents - but that smell will be with you for a long time. And it will always come back when you least expect it or want it to happen.

And what the heck - after a couple of hours you get used to it - the world will keep turning and the sun will rise in the east and set in the west.

As for visitors and guests - well, your friends will always be your friends and the rest can go jump in the lake! You can be sure of one thing though.

Any visitors you have will have fun telling this tale to others!

Take your wife to dinner - a darned nice dinner with all the trimmings for what you did - after all, it IS your fault!

YOU let the dog in.

And she deserves a break after what you did to her house. LOL

My best to all

Bez

I am sorry Hoss but by the time i finished reading that the tears were running down my face and my belly hurt. :mrgreen:

Yes my wife was pretty mad but Boaz came back to the door with that droopy eared, sad eyed look and she forgave him.....but not me. I'm still trying to de-scent the carpet :cry:

3waycross":1xu5knqi said:
I am sorry Hoss but by the time i finished reading that the tears were running down my face and my belly hurt. :mrgreen:
I had tears too but it was from the ammonia smell of skunk urine :yuck:

if its in the carpet best to rip it out and throw away and go back with solid floor. I had to do that to get the smell out of my house from skunks living under it.

I was going to suggest new carpet also. Maybe if you take a big patch with you and ask to match the color, they will give you a nice discount, to get you back outside. Good luck, I wish I knew a remedy for you.

HOSS":skb05wec said:
I just remembered some stuff I had in my taxidermy supplies called malagon. It is an odor neutralizer used on goats hides and skunks. I sprayed the carpet with it and I can tell a difference already. I have scented candles lit too. fortunately I got him out in about 20 seconds. I still can't get the scent completely off my hands.

You've got a head start on Valentines Day.

natures miracle skunk formula....

any pet store and some good feed stores....

I keep a bottle in the house as we have lots of skunks and assorted politicians....

last skunk encounter I smelled it before I opened the door....went and go the natures miracle and a rag and wiped both dogs....it will not kill it entirely with the first application but it makes it bearable. multiple applications help tremendously....

Latest posts