Skipping fertilizing one year

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I have 30 acres of hay that is mostly Fescue and Orchard grass. It was neglected for several years. We got 63, 5ft. rolls a few years ago just cutting what was there after no treatment for years. After reseeding in 2014 and fertilizing the last three yeas, we got 100 rolls last year and 109 this year. We have plenty of hay. I typically feed around 85 rolls a winter, and will start with 160+ rolls going into this winter.

We usually fertilize once a year in the spring. Would it be ok to skip fertilizing for a year? I assume it would produce less that year, but otherwise, are there any negative issues for the long run to be on an every other year fertilizing cycle?

Rule I use is to replace what I take off the land. You could just rotary mower it and let it go back into the soil. (This would keep the weeds in check)

JMJ Farms":3n8f2goh said:
Rule I use is to replace what I take off the land. You could just rotary mower it and let it go back into the soil. (This would keep the weeds in check)
I believe you have to put back this year could be interesting

Caustic Burno":2x7f9o0b said:
JMJ Farms":2x7f9o0b said:
I believe you have to put back this year could be interesting

On several different levels. Price decrease, rainfall, high input costs and so on. I know you are swimming CB and I hate it because I know that's tough and even dangerous. On the other hand our grass is dying in places and it's only June 2. Two different hurdles but both are hard to contend with.

We fertilize one year and hay it then stockpile it for winter grazing. The next year we don;t fertilize but we hay it and do a soil test. Then in the fall we'll fertilize to the test and wait till spring to put out the N. The difference the none fertilized year isn't even 10% reduced from the fertilze eyar. Type of soil (heavy clay and rock) may have some bearing on it working like that.

JMJ every year seems to be a different challenge I guess that is why we keep doing it. Your grass is dying due to lack of water and mine looks like crap because it is drowning.

herofan":bodgylv3 said:
I have 30 acres of hay that is mostly Fescue and Orchard grass. It was neglected for several years. We got 63, 5ft. rolls a few years ago just cutting what was there after no treatment for years. After reseeding in 2014 and fertilizing the last three yeas, we got 100 rolls last year and 109 this year. We have plenty of hay. I typically feed around 85 rolls a winter, and will start with 160+ rolls going into this winter.

We usually fertilize once a year in the spring. Would it be ok to skip fertilizing for a year? I assume it would produce less that year, but otherwise, are there any negative issues for the long run to be on an every other year fertilizing cycle?
Careful, you might save money. Why not put about 15 cows on that 30 acres and buy your hay?

No big deal to fertilize every 2nd year on good fields. Do it here all the time. Harder to do in sandy soils because of so much leaching.

Latest posts