skinny cow

Help Support CattleToday:

ivan.strilk

Reaction score
i have a beef steer that has been on grain for a while...then switched to pasture ate 1000 lbs......now he is back on grain but he is pretty skinny and doesnt seem to be gaining anything even though he has been on grain for a while....whats the problem?

ivan.strilk":21uw7f4f said:
i have a beef steer that has been on grain for a while...then switched to pasture ate 1000 lbs......now he is back on grain but he is pretty skinny and doesnt seem to be gaining anything even though he has been on grain for a while....whats the problem?
What else is he eating besides the grain ration? What is manure consistency?

ivan.strilk":1g4czwf8 said:

What steps did you take to switch from grain to pasture to grain again? Did you allow for time to adjust to feed changes?
Valerie

the steer is still on the pasture.....but we feed him grain twice a day. morning and evening. The steer is still skinny

could be worms, hardware, could honestly be alot of things-I'd try worming him first see if that helps, that would be the easiest answer

You don't say where you're from, but if you are in dusty conditions you might want to get a temperature on him and make sure he's not coughing. I'm fighting respiratory problems with all this dust.