Skinny cow

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I have a cow that will not gain weight, her thirty month old daughter is also under weight and has a heifer calve that is smaller than my other calves. They share pasture, minerals, salt, and water with the other cows that are fat and happy. We call her "Skinny cow" I know she was older when I bought her and she was sold for a reason and she will be going to the sale barn soon. What about her offspring, they are also thin, but they are thirty and six months old. Any thoughts on that.
~Tom

Anecdotal. We had a really good blak angus cow that now matter who she was bred to trhow tremendous calves. Over the years we kept 3 of her daughters. None of those 3 ever raised a calf that was worth spit. The daughters had plenty of milk but their calves never had decent muscle and would wean 100 lbs lighter then any other calf on the place. We finally decided that the old cows calves would all be termianl and the daughters all hit the road as kill cows.

i think some cows r like people and they just stay skinny no matter how much they eat.wish i had that problem.

Latest posts