skinny calf with saggy chin

Help Support CattleToday:

TXcattle

Reaction score
I have a 1 yr old hfr calf that eats well and has no sign of scours. Over the last 3 months she has continually lost weight and is now skin & bones! She has developed an abnormal sagging of the skin beneath her chin. She has been wormed regularly and gets plenty to eat. Anyone with insight to her problem and possible treatment? Thanks from South Texas!!

What kind of cow? Lumpy jaw or wood tongue can be a long process sometimes. Had it happen to us with a LH. By the time things got bad, vet couldn't find any cut or wound in the mouth.

She's a crossbred calf...black w/white face...probably brangus/angus mix.

Doesn't mean it's not lumpy jaw or wood tongue, but any cow that's more likely to eat poor or rough vegetation (or anything else likely to break the skin of the mouth) is considered a more likely candidate. LH and Brahman cattle eat more stuff more traditional beef cattle won't eat, so it's supposed to be a little more common with them. Also more common in cattle that are hungry enough to eat something they normally wouldn't. These cattle often quit eating, but not always.
Could it be Johne's disease? Have you talked to your vet?

yes, i'd say its likely a parasite of some sort that the dewormers youve been using arent getting. i would take a fecal sample into a vet to see what he can find. could be tapeworms. could be flukes. could be something major like johnes tho.

Latest posts