skinney cow wont gain weight

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Have 8 yr old cow that has lost weight, wormed her with ivomec in the fall, gave her la 200, tearmyicen with no effect. She is eating good but not gainig weight no calf on her. Feed is 20% protien mix of corn, alfalfa, and soy beans. And choice of praie hay. Any help greatly appreciated, thank you. Betty
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Betty,<br>I just offer this as a quick thought. Couple of years ago, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be acorn poisening. If she had access to green acorns back in the fall, you might consider this. Otherwise, some one more knowledgable than I may be able to help you. Sorry I can't be more help. Good Luck<br>Mack<p>: Have 8 yr old cow that has lost weight, wormed her with ivomec in the fall, gave her la 200, tearmyicen with no effect. She is eating good but not gainig weight no calf on her. Feed is 20% protien mix of corn, alfalfa, and soy beans. And choice of praie hay. Any help greatly appreciated, thank you. Betty<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":37mz8a19 said:
: Betty,<br>: I just offer this as a quick thought. Couple of years ago, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be acorn poisening. If she had access to green acorns back in the fall, you might consider this. Otherwise, some one more knowledgable than I may be able to help you. Sorry I can't be more help. Good Luck<br>: Mack<p>: : Have 8 yr old cow that has lost weight, wormed her with ivomec in the fall, gave her la 200, tearmyicen with no effect. She is eating good but not gainig weight no calf on her. Feed is 20% protien mix of corn, alfalfa, and soy beans. And choice of praie hay. Any help greatly appreciated, thank you. Betty<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":14ti5mk6 said:
: : Betty,<br>: : I just offer this as a quick thought. Couple of years ago, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be acorn poisening. If she had access to green acorns back in the fall, you might consider this. Otherwise, some one more knowledgable than I may be able to help you. Sorry I can't be more help. Good Luck<br>: : Mack<br>What did you do for the acorn poisoning?<br>: : : Have 8 yr old cow that has lost weight, wormed her with ivomec in the fall, gave her la 200, tearmyicen with no effect. She is eating good but not gainig weight no calf on her. Feed is 20% protien mix of corn, alfalfa, and soy beans. And choice of praie hay. Any help greatly appreciated, thank you. Betty<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Betty; I wish I could give you better news but I don't think there is much you can do for acorn poisening. I lost one heifer that was affected when she tried to deliver early. I raised that calf on a bottle. I had four other heifers in the same pasture and the advice I got from my vet was "put them on a heavy feed ration and if they don't gain weight within a couple of months, take them to the sale barn". I sold three and the other one is still in production. I would suggest that you take yours to the vet. I am just relating my experience and it might be something entirely different. The problem with the acorn poisening is that it destroys the liver. The degree of liver damage makes the difference in recovery or further decline. Best of luck and I hope yours makes it.<br>Mack <p>: : : Betty,<br>: : : I just offer this as a quick thought. Couple of years ago, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be acorn poisening. If she had access to green acorns back in the fall, you might consider this. Otherwise, some one more knowledgable than I may be able to help you. Sorry I can't be more help. Good Luck<br>: : : Mack<br>: What did you do for the acorn poisoning?<br>: : : : Have 8 yr old cow that has lost weight, wormed her with ivomec in the fall, gave her la 200, tearmyicen with no effect. She is eating good but not gainig weight no calf on her. Feed is 20% protien mix of corn, alfalfa, and soy beans. And choice of praie hay. Any help greatly appreciated, thank you. Betty<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Maybe I'm wrong but here's my thought: The 20% protien feed that you're giving her could be causing her to have diarrhea which could be the reason for her not gaining weight. 20% protien is a much higher level of protien than needed. Only about a 12-16% should be given because cows aren't meat eaters so why give them all that protien? I suggest trying to give her a lower protien feed and see if that helps. <br>
<br>

Have you checked her teeth? Has she had an exam by a veterinarian? <p>There could be any number of reasons for her weight loss, from bad teeth, to hay string balled up in her stomach, to Johnes Disease or one of several other causes. Obviously, there has to be something physically wrong for her not to be gaining weight on a good diet. She needs to see a doctor.
<br>

(User Above)":2d20pg81 said:
: Have you checked her teeth? Has she had an exam by a veterinarian? <p>: There could be any number of reasons for her weight loss, from bad teeth, to hay string balled up in her stomach, to Johnes Disease or one of several other causes. Obviously, there has to be something physically wrong for her not to be gaining weight on a good diet. She needs to see a doctor. <p>i would say corn is your number one answer if that does make her gain any wieght it has to do with her age<p>rick beckard<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts