Skinnen turkeys

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
We've alwasy plucked turkeys but it seems most people around here skin them. How do you go about skinning a turkey, what about the wings and legs?

Dun, I've hunted Merriam's for years. For convenience I skin them. Laying the bird on it's back, cut the skin from the tail up to the neck. Peel the skin back from the breast toward the wings. On the wings , I cut off at the first joint, a good pull will take skin right off neatly. Same with the legs cut off at the joint before skinning, a hard pull will leave a clean skinned thigh and drumstick. The head to should be removed and the skin will pull right off. A big tom like yours will take some muscle, and it works better if the bird is warm.

I skin the breast area, cut the breasts out and throw the rest away on wild turkeys. Too many ligaments...........................like eatin an ol' boot.

I second Mike C on throwing the legs & wings away on a wild turkey. I dont like the thoughts of wasting any edible parts of wild game. But the legs on a wild turkey is very questionilbe when it comes to cooking them where they are fit to eat. And the wings run a close second to the legs, although they are a little better.

But by skinning and breasting a turkey out you can have the job finished and in the skillet/freezer in about 5 minutes.

MikeC":s3znuqly said:
I skin the breast area, cut the breasts out and throw the rest away on wild turkeys. Too many ligaments...........................like eatin an ol' boot.

Ditto.

I started skinning my butchered chickens the same way. I don't mind not having the skin and it is MUCH faster than plucking them.

Latest posts