Skin Yuck !!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Cindy

Reaction score
Could use a little help. Purchased a 21 mo. old heifer unbred. Gave her shots and pour on Ivec.But has nasty skin problems. Large scaley paches.I think from a dirty barn where she was kept.Blieve me it was bad!! I am supplementing her with rice bran and a little grain. She was really run down, ( thin ) Any suggestions would help we are still freezing so I can't give her a bath yet. I also dusted her for lice.
Thanks Cindy

The first thing that I have to ask is, why did you buy her.
Did you see her before you bought her. Was it a sight inseen
purchase.
Now get her into a clean area. Unless you are in freezing weather
she should be outside and have a good wind break. She Does not
have to be in a barn. Give her plenty of good quality hay and fresh
water. Rice bran is not a real good feed for something in poor shape.
She probaly needs a good quality feed with added vitamins.

Sounds like she needs a shot 44 cal. You have already ivomeced sounds like a bad case of lice. I would make sure you have minerals and quality feed and hay available at times. Looks like you have picked up an expensive project. I have had pretty good luck picking up down cows with (liquid feed) molasses and minerals in a liquid feeder.

Actually I am not new to cattle and I purchased her because she was cheep and had a good frame. The skin problem is only skin.I have her and all the animals on west lix I think if she dosn't clean up by spring I will bath her in Captin it works for the ick on horses.Just don't know what she may have and my grounds are very clean when not covered in snow and freezing. Thanks Cindy

You've done what needs to be done. Have you considered she may have ringworm? A quick vet check could tell you what the problem is, and will probably save you money in the long run.

Cindy":3trhw8pa said:
Actually I am not new to cattle and I purchased her because she was cheep and had a good frame. The skin problem is only skin.I have her and all the animals on west lix I think if she dosn't clean up by spring I will bath her in Captin it works for the ick on horses.Just don't know what she may have and my grounds are very clean when not covered in snow and freezing. Thanks Cindy

Sorry to hear about your problem! Strongly suggest you isolate her in another pen just in case her skin problem is contageous. Purchasing cattle from "unclean" or not well kept owners/breeders is always a risk. Some so-called "ranchers" (hopefully very few) are too tight to spend needed $$ to maintain a clean and problem-free environment for their cattle.

There is an old saying: "It costs no more (in long run) to go First Class". Exception: when flying--economy fare passengers arrive at destination at same time as first class passengers do (hopefully...lol).

Latest posts