Skin Lesions

Help Support CattleToday:

TJCattle

Reaction score
10 month old steer has big, scabby, bleeding sores from his nose to his shoulders....and they are multiplying! Someone said they were warts but I don't know. The largest one is about 2 inches wide and 2 inches tall. He's in with one other steer that doesn't have any (that we can see). He also seems to have labored breathing. Not like he can't take a breath but like something is blocking his windpipe/nostrils-I'm afraid they might be in his throat/sinus, if that's even possible.
I've read other posts that say warts fall off on their own but these sores are gross & getting worse. Are they something else?? What's next??

TJCattle":zi3aod5z said:
10 month old steer has big, scabby, bleeding sores from his nose to his shoulders....and they are multiplying! Someone said they were warts but I don't know. The largest one is about 2 inches wide and 2 inches tall. He's in with one other steer that doesn't have any (that we can see). He also seems to have labored breathing. Not like he can't take a breath but like something is blocking his windpipe/nostrils-I'm afraid they might be in his throat/sinus, if that's even possible.
I've read other posts that say warts fall off on their own but these sores are gross & getting worse. Are they something else?? What's next??

Can you post a picture? It sounds like warts to me, or possibly ringworm (although that doesn't usually bleed unless they are scratching it a lot). As for his breathing, it could be completely unrelated. Possibly pnemonia. Also, how is he behaving? Is he acting sick? Is his nose dry/scabbed over (that would indicate a fever)?A picture would really help.