Skid Steer Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

I use my skidsteer for everything I can on the farm. The only thing I use the loader on the tractor for is deep mud where the skid wont get traction. They are smaller, more maneuverable, and more precise. Tracks arent good in the winter cause of the daily cleaning so they dont get froze up.

inyati13":n1m6cltx said:
What Make and Model Skid steer is right for farm work as follows: moving and stacking rolled hay bales, light excavation, cleaning out barns, and removing small trees and light grade work? I would like to do a search on Machinery Trader but need to know a lot more about what I am looking for.
Cleaning out barnes.... a skid steer with tires would work best, but for the other things I would suggest tracks.

A tractor and loader for light excavation, small tree removal, and light grade work. :roll:

It depends on how light of excavation, what exactly the small tree's are and what kind of light grade work. a skid steer would be best, but i am someone that has to use what i have and i really have to watch what i spend, so i try to get by with what may be less than perfect but affordable. But there is also the time when it's like trying to load a dump truck with a blade dozer, it don't work, so you just have to have the right thing.

I have an s300 bobcat and an 845 case. The case is OK for small rounds moving them from the end. It does not have the weight to stab them in the side. The s 300 has the weight and more stability when stacking large heavy rounds high from the side or end.
Skid steers are great for certain jobs in short runs but a tractor with a front end loader and rear 3 pt. lift will move bales out of the field much faster and with less damage to the ground. Tires on a skid steer tear the ground all to he!!. Tracks do a lot less damage but still do some damage.
I have steel tracks that go over the tires on my s300. I have take dug up 30" walnut, pecan and oak trees, etc. with it.
A tractor loader will generally stack 1 bale higher than a skid steer.

Latest posts