Skid Steer Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
What Make and Model Skid steer is right for farm work as follows: moving and stacking rolled hay bales, light excavation, cleaning out barns, and removing small trees and light grade work? I would like to do a search on Machinery Trader but need to know a lot more about what I am looking for.

If you can afford one a kubota would be my first choice, the 2 most important things to me on one is pilot controls and track rather than tires. A john deere, mustang, or cat would all be fine too. I have never really been impressed with Nh skid steers, but you might find a good one. And i would not want one less than 7000lbs if you go with tracks, and with tires i would want one bigger.

I personally have a bobcat 763 that I use for my business that I have a love hate relationship for. Its only used to help pluck out little stumps move mulch dirt sand dig holes clear small trees dig post holes and power rake with it clear small areas never moved hay or did anything like that with it. plenty of power but my next bobcat will be with tracks much smoother ride and less wear and tear on the operator hope that helps. If you can spare the extra costs get one with tracks. I had mine a long time and its still good so no need for me to replace yet.

Many good ones out there, I would get one rated at least 1500 lbs, with 2000 lbs being better as most pallets of things are a ton, and most dry bales are less then 2000 lbs. With that said, we have a john deere 320 and like it. Its rated at 2000lbs, and have always been able to lift anything we wanted to. We had a deere 240 before, and liked it too. My opinion is when buying a skid-steer, the brand may not vary so much as to the previous owner/s. Skidsteers and ATVs are sometimes about the most abused equipment in my opinion, just be sure you know who and what its been doing before you buy one. If you've never had a skid before, you are gonna love it, we use ours pretty much everyday. Good luck,
Jenna

Thanks a bunch. Keep suggestions coming. I was wanting information on what weigh rating for lift. Thanks for that. Also, comments on tracks vs tires. Keep em coming, thanks in advance.

inyati13":39dqndy5 said:
What Make and Model Skid steer is right for farm work as follows: moving and stacking rolled hay bales, light excavation, cleaning out barns, and removing small trees and light grade work? I would like to do a search on Machinery Trader but need to know a lot more about what I am looking for.

Lots of good advice from others - however:

What are you going to do with this machine that you will NOT do - or perhaps better - CANNOT do with a tractor and loader? I assume you have one of those.

What is the indoor barn roof height?

Got any low ceiling pens?

What are the gate and door widths of the pens and the barn? Almost everyone has some "narrow entrances and low ceilings" somewhere on the farm. This may dictate the model you actually end up owning. WILL IT FIT?

Cab?

Heat?

Air?

What type of ground are you running on?

What attachments do you need? Heavy bucket? Manure forks? Bale spear? Pallet forks?

What is your budget? Tracks often cost more. Is the money spent going to be worth it? Maybe and maybe not depending on what you really plan to do with this machine.

Remember wants and needs are two different things.

I have owned a T190 and a T200 Bobcat.

Both great but the T200 was too big for working in tight quarters.

The T190 was excellent but I got tired of track issues and someone made me an offer I could not refuse. Not everyone has track issues but on this specific machine, I did.

I own a 170 NH on wheels right now. Bought it brand new. Pilot controls, cab, heat, air - love it. Fits in all the pens and under the ceilings in low barn places. And I move a lot of snow with it.

I have a 2011 KUBOTA SVL90 (I think) in the yard right now on a bit of a try out. My neighbour owns a dealership. They are coming over to make a short video and I needed a couple of pens cleaned - so they can go to it!

Looks like it will be too big, heavy and expensive for what I am planning to use it for. Did I mention very expensive? Nice machine though - but in truth I cannot justify the expense for what I will use it for. Unless you are planning to contract - or are independently wealthy do you really need this? If you are independently wealthy can I come work for you?

Size matters. Make sure it will go where you want it to go. If you have an 8 foot high, 8 foot wide door and a 6 foot manure bucket you will find it tough to get out the door with a full bucket and all the overhanging schitte on the sides of the bucket. Just one example.

If it is truly for utility use you likely do not need a big one.

My 170 easily handles 5 foot bales - but with all skidsteers the visibility is limited when handling bales.

Lots of pros and cons to all makes - and trust me I am not a person to fall in love with ANY colour.

My best advice to you would be to read the advice and not bother to think on a purchase just yet - but instead - go and rent a few different models and actually use them before even thinking about buying one.

That way you are actually working off of your own personal experience. You might just decide you do not need one.

Again. Remember wants and needs are two different things.

My best

Bez

If they fit your price range track are the way to go for sure, it's all we run, and i know alot of other people that had tire machines that bought track machines and kept there tire rigs thinking they might still want them for some jobs, and after getting the track machine and running it a while they all sell there tire machines and go tracks for everything.

denvermartinfarms":2049cge7 said:
If they fit your price range track are the way to go for sure, it's all we run, and i know alot of other people that had tire machines that bought track machines and kept there tire rigs thinking they might still want them for some jobs, and after getting the track machine and running it a while they all sell there tire machines and go tracks for everything.

You got a one track mind son - pun intended. LOL

They make them with wheels and they make them with tracks.

There is a reason for that and I will let you figure on it and see if you can figure out why.

Best you go back and read that post again - there is a lot in information there and you might want to take it all in rather than blather about tracks as if they are the only consideration.

Now I know you might want to get a bit uppity but just think on what I wrote before you jump to bite. You need to look about a bit in the world first. And best maybe even learn a bit from others.

I gave him a lot of info and asked a lot of questions that he needs to think on without even suggesting what he buy. I figure it was pretty good run down of things he needed to consider - and I do not think I got too far off track. Another pun intended. LOL

Try and have a nice day

Best to all

Bez

Great thread

Do any of you also use your skid steer with a hay grapple and if you do what size skid and size of grapple?

does the track tear up fields or grass worse or better than a wheeled skid?

Bez, Thanks. Here are some answers.

I have a JD 5083E but it does not have a loader. It is loader ready with the joystick.

I want to move 5 foot rolls of hay and do any pasture work such as some grading, moving trees that are down, filling ditches, dumping field rock where I want it along the creek.

The lowest area that I would want to access is 9 feet over-head so should be pretty good there except for the tractor. Doors are 10 feet and 12 feet.

Don't need the cab so no air or heat. My tractor is cabbed. Main attachments would be bucket and bale spear.

The ground is clay. Very few rocks. When it gets wet neither tires or tracks are going to be much good. I stay off the ground when it is real wet. Where I put down hay for the cows their is a layer of waste run from the linestone mines in this area. It sets up like concrete so I will be moving the rolls on a gravel surface to the put down area which is solid.

I would not want to pay more than $14,000. I am comparing this to the cost of putting a loader on the tractor with a hay spear on the bucket.

I know I have used a CAT 365 skid loader and it was a good one for sure.
My neighbor has one of the Kubota ones and he likes it really well.

inyati13":2sk86436 said:
Bez, Thanks. Here are some answers.

I have a JD 5083E but it does not have a loader. It is loader ready with the joystick.

I want to move 5 foot rolls of hay and do any pasture work such as some grading, moving trees that are down, filling ditches, dumping field rock where I want it along the creek.

The lowest area that I would want to access is 9 feet over-head so should be pretty good there except for the tractor. Doors are 10 feet and 12 feet.

Don't need the cab so no air or heat. My tractor is cabbed. Main attachments would be bucket and bale spear.

The ground is clay. Very few rocks. When it gets wet neither tires or tracks are going to be much good. I stay off the ground when it is real wet. Where I put down hay for the cows their is a layer of waste run from the linestone mines in this area. It sets up like concrete so I will be moving the rolls on a gravel surface to the put down area which is solid.

I would not want to pay more than $14,000. I am comparing this to the cost of putting a loader on the tractor with a hay spear on the bucket.

Knowing that, I would be more inclined to go loader - you will get more use out of it in the long run - in my opinion anyways.

Cheers

Bez

Bobcat 763-963 with tracks should be in your price range. You won't go wrong. imo

I've owned NH, Bobcat, and now a JCB Robot... If you can afford a cab and air it is very handy for keping you out of the dust.. I use auger, grapple, forks, bucket, bushhog, and trencher. I would recommend rubber tracks over a wheeled unit. IMO Bobcat is best, but cost more, the Robot 1100 is what i have now it is ok. never used the Kubota though i like their products.. i like the skid steer better than the frontend loader of a tractor just my opinion...

I've got a cat 252b. I use it for concrete work so a smaller model would work for you. I bought my first part for it this week after 8 years. A 30 dollar sensor. Cat has joysticks for great control and antistall so when you go into a pile you never stall like a bobcat does. It is more expensive than others but worth every penny. I know people say that about tractors but with equipment its true. The yellow paint is makes it better unlike the green on tractors :hide:

I would think the loader on your tractor would be cheaper but if you buy a skid steer you should test drive a few. Some are pretty uncomfortable to run if your in them a while, especially if you are tall. We have a Bobcat s185 and Komatsu sk820 at work and the Komatsu is more comfortable to me.

snake67":o2gqr12h said:
denvermartinfarms":o2gqr12h said:

You got a one track mind son - pun intended. LOL

They make them with wheels and they make them with tracks.

There is a reason for that and I will let you figure on it and see if you can figure out why.

Best you go back and read that post again - there is a lot in information there and you might want to take it all in rather than blather about tracks as if they are the only consideration.

Now I know you might want to get a bit uppity but just think on what I wrote before you jump to bite. You need to look about a bit in the world first. And best maybe even learn a bit from others.

I gave him a lot of info and asked a lot of questions that he needs to think on without even suggesting what he buy. I figure it was pretty good run down of things he needed to consider - and I do not think I got too far off track. Another pun intended. LOL

Try and have a nice day

Best to all

Bez
Well, they asked for skid steer advice, so i was giving some from what i have learned from. I have a very hard time understanding you, but i think you are saying that i need to look around and learn from others, how do you know that i don't? Because i do. Also i know that both tracks and tires are made and that is fine, there are some times tires might be better than tracks, and i know that, but from what they seem to want to do with it i would want tracks if that was what i could get, now if i could only afford one with tires that's what i would buy, there just not as nice IMO. But i really think they should go with a loader.