Size of feed bin

Help Support CattleToday:

austin4605

Reaction score
I am trying to find out what size feed him to buy I am looking at several used bins and inhave found there to be better deals the bigger u get. I was looking at the 3 ton metal bins but was kinda wanting something I could fill up my creep feeders with the best deal I found was a 18 ton bin my neibor has it is a Brock way bigger than I need but I was going to see what y'all thought he only want 500 for it with the auger should I buy it and just unbolt it and make a 9 ton or should I just keep looking for a 9 ton or do y'all think I would be better off with the 3 ton ones from coop any help will be appreciated I am small time only have 40 cows I feed out about 5 to 10 bulls a year so I don't feed alot but I am tired of the bags.

I have a 5 ton from TN Coop. It is square and on its own frame and you can move it easily if you want to. You can be filling it with feed 10 minutes after it arrives. Last winter I checked prices and they were $1900.

If whoever you get your feed from can auger the feed high enough to get it in the bigger bin, why not just get it and leave it as is? When we bought this farm the bin that was installed had a flex auger system to feed inside the barn. I just removed the auger head and replaced it with one that has a slider at an angle for dumping grain. I just slide a 5 gal bucket under it and open the slider. We feed grain so little and seldom that I just keep a bunch of 5 gal buckets full of feed in the parlor for the times we're feeding it. We get grain once a year and it stays good, as far as the cows and I can tell, until it needs feeding again. The difference per ton for larger quantities is worth doing it that way.

Ya the ones from coop are the ones I have been looking at I just don't know if I would be better off going ahead and getting the bigger bin but I don't know if moving it will make it stress and leack around the bolts

austin4605":1zhl6ehc said:
I am trying to find out what size feed him to buy I am looking at several used bins and inhave found there to be better deals the bigger u get. I was looking at the 3 ton metal bins but was kinda wanting something I could fill up my creep feeders with the best deal I found was a 18 ton bin my neibor has it is a Brock way bigger than I need but I was going to see what y'all thought he only want 500 for it with the auger should I buy it and just unbolt it and make a 9 ton or should I just keep looking for a 9 ton or do y'all think I would be better off with the 3 ton ones from coop any help will be appreciated I am small time only have 40 cows I feed out about 5 to 10 bulls a year so I don't feed alot but I am tired of the bags.

You don't have to fill it up just because it holds 18 tons. Put your 9 in there for now.