Size Issues

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
Ok, so what is dwarfism, exactly? What are other issues involving size and stunting? The only one I have ever heard of is dwarfism, so I assumed that is what was wrong with this calf. He is about 9 months now, and is only a little bigger than a newborn. I can wrap my arms around him and he is probably up to my waist. He has grown very little since he was born. He eats fine, has not been sick, runs and plays,etc. I had posted some pics of him on the breed board and someone had commented saying they didn't think he looked like a dwarf but a true midget..so that got me thinking. Does anyone know why this might have occurred or if there are any diseases that may have caused this stunting? His mom died when he was around 6 months old, not sure what she died from but she basically wasted away (my guess was hardware or Johne's but we couldn't get her tested, and none of our other animals are or have been sick). Here are some pictures of him. I am really interested to hear everyone's ideas and theories!
little_calf.JPG

This picture was taken last summer, he was about 1 month old
little_w_big_calves1.JPG

this was taken the same day, the other calves behind him are the same age.
Here he is now, sorry I don't have a better pic or something to scale him to.
100_2100.JPG

His name is Minute, by the way. Since he's no bigger than a minute :p

LoveMoo11":2j3i6pn1 said:
...His mom died when he was around 6 months old, not sure what she died from but she basically wasted away (my guess was hardware or Johne's but we couldn't get her tested, and none of our other animals are or have been sick). Here are some pictures of him. I am really interested to hear everyone's ideas and theories!...

If his dam dies of wasting away (Johne's disease) this calf could be shedding the infection to the rest of your herd even though he doesn't show the symptoms yet himself.

If you suspect johne's on his mom then I would STRONGLY suggest you get a fecal test done on this calf ASAP before he infects the rest of your herd and you will have a difficult time ever getting rid of the disease after that. here is a website with more information: www.johnes.org

Good luck.

The reason I didn't think the dam died from Johne's is that no other animal in our herd EVER showed any signs, and we've had hundreds of animals over the years. Who would I contact to get a fecal test done?

At a month old, he is not very filled out, but that might just be the way he is standing too. I'm thinking he is stunted from not a good nutrition source. If the mother was wasting away,her milk would have been the last thing on the body's mind. When cattle or anything are ill, the body's natural defence is to try and cut the energy to extras, and focus on nourishing the rest of the body.
As SR Beef suggested get this calf tested before you have a problem, while you are at it, get a BVD test done and if you are so inclined and have the $ talk to your vet about this being genetic. Get a genetic test done. If it is genetic, your bull and cows related to this one could have more of these little ones in the future.
But I am leaning to not enough groceries in the early stages of life

RR

Thanks dun.
Rockridge-I was thinking the same thing but he was getting some milk-I saw her udder and also saw him with a milk "mustache" plenty of times. Even if he wasn't getting enough, I would think by now that he is eating other foods that he would have grown. I have seen animals that are small due to lack of nutrition, but never this small. Good thought with the BVD too, that one hadn't crossed my mind yet. The only relation to this calf I have left is a daughter of a half sister to his dam so hopefully if its genetic I won't be seeing it again.
Any idea how much all of this will cost? I am in college and funds don't come easy :? But I guess its something that needs to be done.

only you can judge what you are willing to put out in the way of costs. IF you can not afford it, maybe just the Johnes and Bvd tests shoudl be done because they are important.
When we have small animals like that, they become our food source if they are healthy. Can't sell them cause you won't get much for them, but, when you figure the cost to feed ourselves, they are worth their weight that is for sure.

Figure how much you can spend, and how much you are willing to spend and go from their. Set your priorities.

That calf might have been getting some milk, but how much, and what was the qualtity like from a sick cow? When a cow is sick, the milk might be there but the vitamins, protien, and fat will not. These are what the calf needs. Kind of like a baby drinking whole milk as compared to skim.

LoveMoo11":ivdfe4x1 said:
The reason I didn't think the dam died from Johne's is that no other animal in our herd EVER showed any signs, and we've had hundreds of animals over the years. Who would I contact to get a fecal test done?

They probably wont. Contact your vet if you dont know how to get a fecal.

Latest posts