Six weeks left

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
About six more weeks left before we wean our spring calves. This calf crop is by far the best that we have raised to date. We have picked out the replacement heifers of the group, and will be selecting five or six of the bull calves to grow out/ develop until they are sold as 2 year olds. The calves pictured are between 5 1/2 and 7 months of age, and are out of a handful of different sires.

001 Bull- This calf is a 7 month old son of Cadella Park Minute Man and is out of our oldest Tony daughter. She is one of the smaller cows in our herd, but she raises a huge calf every year. This bull had a 72 lb birth weight and goes back to some of the foundation Murray Grey genetics from Australia.
001-Bull-7-months.jpg

006 Heifer- I would have to say that this female is my favorite heifer of the calf crop. She is sired by a New Zealand bull, Ballee Thumbs Up, and is out of a Cadella Park Golden Boy cow. Cadella Park Golden Boy was imported from Australia in the early 1970s, and was a foundation bull for the breed here in the US. She is 6 1/2 months old.
006-Heifer-6-5-months.jpg

009 Bull- This calf is a 6 month old Tony son that is out of one of our top producing cows. His dam is 10 1/2 years old currently, and raised the best bull calves in the 2018 and 2019 calf crop. She is bred back to Tony for a spring 2021 calf.
009-Bull-6-months.jpg

015 Bull- This calf is another 6 month old Tony son. He is 75% Murray Grey and 25% Angus and is the biggest calf in the calf crop. His dam is 11 years old and has raised a replacement quality calf every year since she was a first calf heifer, and we have 3 of her daughters under the age of 5 in the herd currently.
015-Bull-6-months.jpg

These next two calves are both sired by BB Backbone's General. The bull calf is 6 1/2 months old, and the heifer is 5 1/2 months of age. The heifer is out of a 17 year old cow who is also the mother of BB Uncle Tony, our foundation herdsire. The 022 heifer also scored a perfect 10 for tenderness and a near perfect 9 for marbling when tested with Igenity. No individual in our herd has ever tested so well.
017-Bull-6-5-months.jpg

022-Heifer-5-5-months.jpg

These last 3 calves were all out of a young home-raised bull of ours that we sold this past spring. He added some nice muscling to his calves, and we will likely be keeping one of the bull calves for use in our herd. These three are all between 5 1/2 and 6 months of age.
029-Bull-6-months.jpg

023-Bull-5-5-months.jpg

028-Heifer-5-5-months.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!

Dubcharo's cattle are very nice, but way too big for my country. Managed more intensively than Backbone's.

Dubcharo's cattle are very nice, but way too big for my country. Managed more intensively than Backbone's.
Very good comment. If my cows were in Texas I don't thing they will look like that. I'm not running a commercial herd. Here the goal is to produce herd bulls that will have calves with a good daily gain on smaller cows. Also with the cold winter we have the cows need to be fatter to past through and keep condition, have a calf in January and rebreed in time. We could calved on pasture in summer and work less but we think if we do different from others we can be more profitable. Our market and environnement make the kind of cows we have I think.

I appreciate the feedback everyone! We've got the vet coming out to preg check the cows, bangs vaccinate heifers, and tattoo the calves later this week, and I am thinking that we will get weights on everything at that time. These were some pairs from this past week.

023 Bull (7 months).jpg015 Bull (7 months).jpgBB Goldie and 006 Heifer (5 years and 7.5 months).jpg

Nicest cattle on the board. Are any of these for sale?
At this time, none of these individuals are for sale, but we usually sell our bulls when they are between 15 and 18 months of age, after they have passed a breeding soundness exam. We intend to keep a handful of these bull prospects until they are 2 years old and sell them at that time. Our heifer calves are available anytime after weaning.

Don't forget about Mr. Victor Domino. All three (Backbone, Dubcharo, MVD) represent what their respective breeds should look and perform like.

Latest posts