Sitz Bull sale

Help Support CattleToday:

trevorgreycattleco

Reaction score
Watched Sitz bull sale today on RFD-TV. Seem to sell pretty well to me. Never heard one word about genetic defects tho. Didn't sell the "50,000" dollar rascal. I kept track till my hand got tired. First 111 lots sold for $519,200 or $4,677.47 avg. The Upward 307r bull calves dominated the sale with the top one to select Sires for $22,000. Any comments?

trevorgreycattleco":36iy3yg0 said:
Watched Sitz bull sale today on RFD-TV. Seem to sell pretty well to me. Never heard one word about genetic defects tho. Didn't sell the "50,000" dollar rascal. I kept track till my hand got tired. First 111 lots sold for $519,200 or $4,677.47 avg. The Upward 307r bull calves dominated the sale with the top one to select Sires for $22,000. Any comments?

I watched the first of it. Looked like a good sale to me. I don't remember the Upward calves, but did like the Onward bulls. I'll have to look those guys up on the Angus site.

Top seller was lot 83. He looked like a hog to me. Really pressed the scales. i thought with all the genetic defects flyin around about the black angus people would not be buying but i was wrong. I wouls say the sale generated 1.5 million in there somewhere. i was also suprised Sitz was using Retail Product as hard as they were. I used to work for Genex and always heard alot of negatives(shocker) about the bull. Was hoping someone who knows angus better than me would chip in on what they know about the bando 598 line and the defect it may carry as well. I'm a small timer and don't get the hot news lol. Personally i think as long as the carriers are identified and we use clean bulls the issue is kinda makin a mountain out of a mole hill. Just some of my ramblings. :cboy:

I'm curious as to what all you heard about retail product? We have a son as our herd bull and have retained many daughters. From what i've heard and seen through his son he's a moderate muscular cow maker with carcaus (sp?) quality..

I was always told he was light muscled strictly carcass bull who looked good on paper but wouldn't hold up in range conditions. I understand he was with their compitetion and all but as I look genex now has a Retail Product son in their lineup lol! It says Sierra Cut represents a intriguing carcass pedigree with unusual real world body type. That is straight from the catalog. I just found it interesting a famous maternal oriented herd was using him. I will take your word for it too if your actually using a son. Thanks for the feedback!

Interesting commments the Sitz program. Here is my thoughts on the topics at hand. The Upward progeny will stomp on the Onwards in terms of base width and visual thickness. I don't own any Retail Product progeny but do appreciate them for being easy fleshing and for not being too big. Occasionally I have seen the Ext side of the disposition come out of them. Good range cattle though with some carcass data that is impressive. This is not the first calf crop by RP for Sitz Angus so one can assume there is something that they like about them.

Thanks W.B. Anything I can learn on here can only help. I went to Select Sires to learn how to A.I. and they give you a semen voucher when you get done. I bought 50/50, Predestined, Integrity, 6I6, Bar Ext, Grid Maker but passed on RP. i just didn't like his picture at the time. Probaly should of tried that guy, had good luck with the rest of them. I grew up in town playin sports and only been in the buisness since 2000 so i always like to get feedback from people been there , done that. Its a tough buisness and you need to keep your pencil sharp. It's hard for me sometimes to get the real story out of people and not just their sales pitch.