Sire/DNA determination

Help Support CattleToday:

blacksnake

Reaction score
Does any one know the approximate cost to have the DNA test done to determine who the sire of a calf is. I purchased a bred cow that was AI'ed to deliver on 9/14. The calf was born on 9/23. The previous owner turned the cow in with another bull two weeks after the AI. Both of the bulls have DNA on record with AAA. At the sale, the breeding sheet confirmed the cow was safe to the AI bull, but now I am wondering. Either the calf was a little late based on the AI service or just a little early for the clean up bull.

blacksnake":35xra9vk said:
Does any one know the approximate cost to have the DNA test done to determine who the sire of a calf is. I purchased a bred cow that was AI'ed to deliver on 9/14. The calf was born on 9/23. The previous owner turned the cow in with another bull two weeks after the AI. Both of the bulls have DNA on record with AAA. At the sale, the breeding sheet confirmed the cow was safe to the AI bull, but now I am wondering. Either the calf was a little late based on the AI service or just a little early for the clean up bull.

It cost us $20 this year. Contact the AAA for the kit. The sire had been tested, but not the cow. We didn't test her, just took blood from the calf. The test verified the sire.

http://www.angus.org/newsroom/releases/ ... ntage.html

It is very simple to do, but my money is on the clean up bull!

Sizmic

blacksnake":1lxqe80a said:
Either the calf was a little late based on the AI service or just a little early for the clean up bull.

Calving dates are not an exact science - they can vary up to about 14 days in either direction (depending on breed, individual animals, and circumstances) - especially with heifers. Since the breeding sheet confirmed the AI service, I would accept that - unless I had cause to believe the breeder is dishonest - which was not mentioned.

sizmic":20vravyr said:
It is very simple to do, but my money is on the clean up bull!

Sizmic

Yes, and you would probably lose that money. ;-) :lol: :lol:

Peace of mind is worth the $20.
but:
Just because she was turned in with a bull 2 weeks later, doesn't mean she cycled 14 days later. In all probability, her calf was either 9 days late or 12 days early. So next question is was it a heifer or bull? If it's a bull, it is probably from the AI date - and in all probability, he will be a steer - (at least MOST bulls born SHOULD be a steer!) so, if he's a steer - who cares?
On the other hand, if it's a heifer, "most" of the time heifers are on time or early born (always exceptions!), and you would "for sure" want her accurate pedigree.
This is why I HATE buying cows from a herd using a clean up bull. I usually just eliminate them - too many IF's.