Single strand electric fence (height and spacing)

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90

Reaction score
Im sure it's been repeated here several times, I just wanted to put it all together. What wire height and post spacing do you use for single strand electric crossfence? Any tips and tricks in your experience with it? Thanks

28-32 inches high. The distance depends on the terrain. On normal ground with temp posts about 50 feet between posts

depends on the wire.. I use a 3/16" braided wire that can take a lot of tension... For the most part I do it as Dun does... Depends a little on the size of the calves.. lower when they're young

Stocker Steve":1jd44zkl said:
above most of the forage
20+ paces
I tried that. The way the stuff shot up the cows would be walking under it.

dun":1rhxyh70 said:
Stocker Steve":1rhxyh70 said:
above most of the forage
20+ paces
I tried that. The way the stuff shot up the cows would be walking under it.
Yup, same here.. especially with my wild mustard crop that was 7 ft high.. rather get a strong enough fencer to zap through the stuff well enough

dun The way the stuff shot up the cows would be walking under it.[/quote said:
Not enough cows?

The thing most don't budget in for pasture subdivision is more cattle. Your stocking rate should double with a good subdivision plan, and almost double again if you can get a good stand of legumes going.

Single strand fence is very inexpensive, but it is the tip of the investment iceberg.

Stocker Steve":3jj5pca9 said:
dun The way the stuff shot up the cows would be walking under it.[/quote:3jj5pca9 said:
Not enough cows?

The thing most don't budget in for pasture subdivision is more cattle. Your stocking rate should double with a good subdivision plan, and almost double again if you can get a good stand of legumes going.

Single strand fence is very inexpensive, but it is the tip of the investment iceberg.
But when you are in the process of cutting back the pastures get a head of you. Besides ours we have 10 pair from the vet and another 10 pair from the guy that is probably going to buy this farm. At least we are making a tiny dent in it. That's one of the drawbacks to having spent almost 20 years doing MIG. Got too much grass.

dun":20xq1vbz said:
Stocker Steve":20xq1vbz said:
dun The way the stuff shot up the cows would be walking under it.[/quote:20xq1vbz said:
Not enough cows?

But when you are in the process of cutting back the pastures get a head of you. Besides ours we have 10 pair from the vet and another 10 pair from the guy that is probably going to buy this farm. At least we are making a tiny dent in it. That's one of the drawbacks to having spent almost 20 years doing MIG. Got too much grass.
Do you fertilize or spray?

Stocker Steve":pd25q8pk said:
dun said:
The way the stuff shot up the cows would be walking under it.

Not enough cows?

[/quote]

Depending on your location and climate, you have a peak growth period (right about now for around here) where there's not a hope in hades to keep it grazed down if you have the correct stocking rate for non-peak periods.

Spot spray w/ Milestone for thistle.
Have cut waaay back on fertilizer. Use it on a couple paddocks in spring/fall to extend the grazing season.
Have flexible stocking rate for spring flush via. cattle which are marketed in July/August/November.

Did some forage measurements and projected my 2017 forage total costs including OH. Looks like 2017 will range from .012 to .040 per lb DM consumed depending on the blend and the age and the amount of mismanagement for that stand.

RanchMan90":3e9ejjcm said:
Do you fertilize or spray?
Not much anymore. The hayfields get fertilized but not the pastures. Took a few years to get them productive after a quarter century of abuse. Spraying is mostly black berries

28-32 inches high. The distance depends on the terrain. On normal ground with temp posts about 50 feet between posts
I have had good success at 40 inches. I don't worry about the calves as they don't stray far from mom. Posts vary by the terran but if it is level I try for 100 feet. This is only if the calves get out onto my land, not the neighbors.

Latest posts