Single or Dually

Help Support CattleToday:

agcntry

Reaction score
I'm looking at new trucks and will put a Hydrabed on it. Have always had 3/4 ton and am going to get a 1 ton this time. I know the dually will be more stable with two bales on, but how are they in the mud. What does everyone prefer and why?

I've got a Hydrabed that's on a 96 Ford dually and a Deweze on an 86 Ford dually. The 96 is terrible in mud but the 86 isn't near as bad. If the sole purpose of the truck was to feed with, then I'd use a SRW 1 ton, but I like the dual wheels for towing and hauling.

Go with the dually. The single wheel will rut worse. If you run a wider tire on the front it will help them about getting around and the rutting.

Red Bull Breeder":2ngngb1y said:
Go with the dually. The single wheel will rut worse. If you run a wider tire on the front it will help them about getting around and the rutting.
Wider instead of deeper, right Red Bull? :p

Our feed truck is a dully with single bobcat tires on it we have no problem in mud or rocks between the duels. Mud is not a big problem here as to you flatlanders. We do not have to licenses it to run on the HWY and run red fuel legal.

agcntry":2stwkwef said:
I'm looking at new trucks and will put a Hydrabed on it. Have always had 3/4 ton and am going to get a 1 ton this time. I know the dually will be more stable with two bales on, but how are they in the mud. What does everyone prefer and why?

If you're getting 4x4, I recommend duals; if not get singles. As someone on the board stated; his dually(2x4) get stuck just looking a mud. Of course tires are also a big factor.

if i was in your shoes id get a 4 x4 dually.i never have liked the looks of a 1 ton single wheel.

I'd vote for the duallie as well, although the singles are generally rated for higher weight carrying. The dual wheels just add stability, should you use the truck for anything other than feeding (like towing, etc). If you're only doing a 2WD, go with the singles.

I will get 4x4 for sure. When you put two bales on and it is muddy you have to have it. I was leaning towards the SRW, but am going to test drive the dually to see how it feels. I will pull a car trailer sometimes with a vehicle, small tractor, or hay sometimes and didn't know if I needed it for that. It seems the opionio of everyone here is I should go with the dually. How will it do when it gets muddy or in snow drifts?

bigbull338":2vo8po9p said:
if i was in your shoes id get a 4 x4 dually.i never have liked the looks of a 1 ton single wheel.
Have never seen a 1 ton single wheel that looked any different than a 3/4 ton and on some brands they are the same except for 2 extra springs in the rear, same brakes, same front ends, same rearends and same transmissions

I prefer a dually if I am hauling or using it as a feed truck with a bale bed put they don't get around in the deep snow and deep mud as well as a single wheel
I have had both and used both for farming and in my excavating business and I do prefer the dually in general basically because I prefer the way they drive , handle and ride

agcntry":1yd9xmlt said:
How will it do when it gets muddy or in snow drifts?

Get a decent set of open lug mud tires and you'll be able to go pretty much anywhere your little heart desires. I was cutting across country one time with my duallie and hit a drainage ditch that was right full of snow. I managed to claw my way through to the other side with the duallie. Of course I hit the ditch at 60 mph, so speed kinda carried me through :)

Rod

Latest posts