Sinclair Rito Legacy

Help Support CattleToday:

badroute":21eevhed said:
I recently purchased a few bulls from a breeder that has never waivered from using the older bloodlines. These bulls are chalk full of red meat and moderate in frame. I figure these bulls will sire some very functional cattle that add weight in the form of red meat rather than frame.

The thing about these bulls is their EPD's are not impressive at all. Their WW EPD's are only slightly higher than the milk EPD's of some of the various semen companies top bulls. Their production EPD's are indeed inferior to those of our present day sires but their Maternal EPD's are superior to those of our present day sires.

The question I ask is why are most using Black Angus bulls? Is it to produce superior maternal momma cows as the breed was originally intended, or is it to just to geta black hided calf in order to quench the industrys thirst for black hided calves that grow like weeds.

The two choices, while neither wrong, will definetly require completely different bull types and I'm not sure there is one bull that can accomplish both. It all depends on your priorities.

I did an Internet search on 3R9 and this thread came up from 2007. I've read through and totally agree with this statement. Angus (and Hereford) were meant to be maternal breeds. The modern day marketing is no muscle (mostly fed, fat cattle), too much frame, no efficiency with HIGH milk. In a world when the cow-calf guy is crying about profits...

gizmom":3ptml7y2 said:
We had a 3R9 bull calf born yesterday out of a first calf heifer 11 days early and 58 pounds. He sure works on heifers past experience is limited two pregnancies one 2010 still in the herd expecting her second calf, the other heifer had a set of twins she raised them but they didn't make the cut to stay. I can't remember if we have anymore 3R9's coming this year. We have a grandson of 707 Sinclair Rito 9R9 that we really like, our bull customers sure seem to find his calves.

Gizmom- great looking bull! I'm also betting while he is heifer bull his CED with those old pedigrees is really low??? Just guessing.

Southern blues

I meant the 3R9 bull was calving ease, the 9R9 bull pictured was not a calving ease bull. His CED is +1 bw is 2.5. When we purchased him his birth weight EPD was much higher but came down as birthweights were reported. His calves averaged mid to high 70's at birth, we never used him on heifers he had more shoulder than I will use on a heifer.

Gizmom

I don't know how much, if any, Sinclair Rito Legacy's epds changed since this thread was started. Maternal bulls are what I like. But his epds for the first two things I look at, heifer pregnancy and maternal calving ease, really poor. In the 90% and 95% percentile respectively. Hard to get much worse.

For a good-looking maternal black Angus with great low-input epds, I like Bradley Ranch's B3R Back To Basics U077. He is in the top 10% for heifer pregnancy, the top 4% for maternal calving ease, top 1% for docility, birthweight, calving ease direct, and top 10% for $EN. Top 20% for marbling. He makes me want to get into Angus and breed a herd of his daughters:

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... yzIPVnQ%3d%3

Latest posts