Simsolution heifer to pick on. Caution she has chrome !

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
I`m really liking this little heifer out of HPF Optimizer. She may have a little chrome but she`s put together good and has a pretty front for a Simmental. We are just starting to work with the fall heifers and let them in the barn everyday for a little extra feed and get them calmed down for halter breaking.

Chrome or no chrome, I like her! Hard to really tell from one photo regarding front and rear and width. Good guts. If I were to pick one possible fault, I would like to see more length. Then again, that could be placement of her feet and the photographer. Overall, I like her.

Between Fire Sweep and I, I have seen a number of the HPF OPTIMIZER calves. That one has the stamp. They are very docile.

I like her a lot!!!

She looks good but as mentioned above... I would like to see a little more length to her. It may just be the picture, so don't put to much stock on what I say... if you like her and you think she will fit into your program, then she's a keeper!

I agree, she looks like an Optimizer! I think it might be the picture, but she looks straight out of her hocks, but she is standing underneath herself. She would be in my keeper pen for sure, but I think most have figured out I like chrome on my females!

Thanks for the nice comments by the picture you can`t see what I can but she looks as good or better from behind. I`ve never been able to get good pictures of my calves which is why I certainly respect the livestock photographers they must really have the patients to take those good pictures. I will get her on feed and clip her this spring maybe I can do a little better.

That photo IMHO makes her look way too straight in the back. I also wish you breeders wouldn't get too much white on them again. Those calves are discounted in the commercial market. Sometimes just because they can do it.

Good capacity, great topline, a little short, and I agree on the hocks. it could be the way she is standing but she looks pretty posty nevertheless

Simsolution is just another name for a percentage Simmental just like Shorthorn Plus in the Shorthorns.

Yes, SimAngus is out of registered parents (Simmental x Angus)
SimSolution is Simmental mixed with other breeds, and can be a low percentage of Simmental. Obviously, this one is 50% Simmental.
Quote: " She may have a little chrome but"
LITTLE chrome???? That's about as much chrome as you can get. Remember, SPOTS are NOT considered chrome. Chrome is white on the "ends/points" of the animal. She has that well covered. That's about the same chrome as my newborn.

Shocker

Genex has a new stud Simmental Bull. On the issue of white, this bull has it. Notice white tip on tail and both white feet. Semen is $25 per straw. Bull was presented at Genex annual meeting yesterday. Fire Sweep can provide more information, she is a Genex delegate.

28u4uom.jpg

What is his name? or Registration number?
I would NOT be interested in using a bull with this much chrome. Getting enough without using a bull like that. It is surprising that they are handling him. I have seen more & more chrome cattle getting into the mainstream breeders. Many of the "hot" bulls are throwing a lot of chrome.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1p8bah85 said:
I would NOT be interested in using a bull with this much chrome. Getting enough without using a bull like that. It is surprising that they are handling him. I have seen more & more chrome cattle getting into the mainstream breeders. Many of the "hot" bulls are throwing a lot of chrome.

Shocker.

I have been noticing a move toward the Simmentals with chrome. I was asking my Select Sire rep about a genetic issue and he arranged for me to talk to their technical staff. The conversation turned to their bull selection and he stated that they were seeking to add some stud bulls with more chrome. I think there is a market for those chrome Simmentals that some are ignoring.

The Clubby market for sure!!!
I went to Genex's site and can't find a Simmental or SimAngus
Found him at SEK & Midwest Genetics for $30 and at Griswald for $25
And I should say I am NOT interested in using a chromed up bull NOW. That may change with the market. I am in this business to make money. Breeding stock - not steers, make me money. If the breeding industry starts paying more for chrome cattle, I'm game. I LOVE the chrome!!!

Bright Raven":2gk0zmd4 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2gk0zmd4 said:

Shocker.

I have been noticing a move toward the Simmentals with chrome. I was asking my Select Sire rep about a genetic issue and he arranged for me to talk to their technical staff. The conversation turned to their bull selection and he stated that they were seeking to add some stud bulls with more chrome. I think there is a market for those chrome Simmentals that some are ignoring.
I'm curious to see how it all works out in the ASA. My guess is more different breed registries based on color, that's where the money's at. It looks like the AAA is doing alright sticking to their beliefs and weeding through the undesirable traits.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":p9dofml1 said:
The Clubby market for sure!!!
I went to Genex's site and can't find a Simmental or SimAngus
Found him at SEK & Midwest Genetics for $30 and at Griswald for $25
And I should say I am NOT interested in using a chromed up bull NOW. That may change with the market. I am in this business to make money. Breeding stock - not steers, make me money. If the breeding industry starts paying more for chrome cattle, I'm game. I LOVE the chrome!!!

No. He is not listed by Genex yet. I talked to Kris last night. She said they passed a pamphlet out yesterday on the bull.

I don't have a problem with chrome. I like it. I think other traits like feet, legs, calving ease, etc. are more important.

Latest posts