Simsolution heifer to pick on. Caution she has chrome !

Help Support CattleToday:

WinterSpringsFarm":2fuqax20 said:
Ahhh shocker. He has been around from Griswolds for a year or so. To much white and a pud. No use for him here

I doubt he will have a big impact but Genex has picked up the rights to collect and sell his semen. I don't plan to use him.

I don`t think the Simsolution or percentage Simmental is a bad thing for the breed it`s merely a way to register a heifer then breed them to a purebred bull and breed up to 3/4 or eventually purebred. If i keep the 2 chromed up fall heifers they will be bred to solid black purebred bulls. I`m glad the Simmental breed allows you to breed up the way they do it lets you change directions without liquidating your herd.

jd720 said:
I don`t think the Simsolution or percentage Simmental is a bad thing for the breed it`s merely a way to register a heifer then breed them to a purebred bull and breed up to 3/4 or eventually purebred. If i keep the 2 chromed up fall heifers they will be bred to solid black purebred bulls. I`m glad the Simmental breed allows you to breed up the way they do it lets you change directions without liquidating your herd.[/quote]
I'm not sold on that being a good thing for the person who is buying Simmental cattle. Changing directions doesn't help with consistency.

Grit - as a long time breeder of Simmental, I started out with commercial cattle and bred up. The first year we moved to NY from Kansas, we had our first Purebred (which was 15/16 for a bull back then).
I am proud that the ASA keeps an open book, so new people can get into the registered breed without great expense unlike "the other breed".

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2e4b1qq7 said:
Grit - as a long time breeder of Simmental, I started out with commercial cattle and bred up. The first year we moved to NY from Kansas, we had our first Purebred (which was 15/16 for a bull back then).
I am proud that the ASA keeps an open book, so new people can get into the registered breed without great expense unlike "the other breed".
I know that your kind of thinking has really helped the Angus breed come back to the top. The Angus bulls have been out selling SimAngus bulls for the last two years at all the bull sales around here. Angus has never had any problems out selling Simmental in the bull or cow market. SimAngus bulls were really hot for 5 years and now the trend is going backwards. I believe there's two reasons for that and your way of thinking is one, and breeding for color is the other.
The Hereford breed is getting stronger every year because the AHA and the breeders haven't sold out.

Got my latest issue of SimTalk last week. Seeing more red cattle featured for sale than I can recall in quite some time.
ABS and CattleVisions catalogs arrived about the same time... more red SM bulls than last year. More blaze/white faces than ever before. Very few red/white-faced bulls though.

We've been selecting for white/blaze faces for the past couple of years... and, admittedly getting some chrome from some of those sires over these cows, but we like it on the heifers. Base herd had (10+ yrs ago) pretty strong Fleckvieh influence... I'd go back to a Fleckvieh sire again, if I could find one that didn't take away the marbling and tenderness we've been breeding for for several generations now.

Thought I would post an updated picture of this gal yes she may have too much chrome but I still like her. She`s bred to CCR Boulder for a September calf.[image][/image]

That heifer does appear to be mighty fine. Only obvious improvement would be to change the black to yellow or red. But hey, you can't eat the colour!

Franke":2d1umapv said:
That is plenty of chrome but she looks good. Shocker has been with genex under the club calf listing for at least a year now.http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 28&lang=EN I was never a fan of Hammers dam though I do like most of the Sheeza Star families.

For terminal or club calves, his numbers look fine. I'd sure be worried about keeping replacements if maternal females were my goal, which it is. He's forecast as poor on calving ease and stayability.

Mossy Dell":1ivgn8oo said:
Franke":1ivgn8oo said:
That is plenty of chrome but she looks good. Shocker has been with genex under the club calf listing for at least a year now.http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 28&lang=EN I was never a fan of Hammers dam though I do like most of the Sheeza Star families.

For terminal or club calves, his numbers look fine. I'd sure be worried about keeping replacements if maternal females were my goal, which it is. He's forecast as poor on calving ease and stayability.

Actually she is out of HPF Optimizer I believe the Shocker bull was posted just to show there a many bulls out there with chrome. I believe she will make a really good cow. Her mother has had 10 calves now and has stuck every time first breeding with A.I. her calf she has on her now is a blue roan by Pays To Believe and she I looking great.

Thought I would bring this back up with a picture of her as a bred since she was standing there nicely this morning. She`s bred to CCR Boulder.

I too would love to see the Boulder calf. Thinking about using him this Fall.

Well she had a really nice bull calf by Boulder last night. I`m probably going to breed her back to Boulder and hope for a heifer next year.