Simmentals

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyD

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here raises simms and would like to chat about them?

CowboyD

We have some Simmental cows in our herd(commercial). They are great mothers and have good dispositions. We just leave them alone and they raise a nice calf every year.

Roll Tide[/quote]

All our cows are simmental or simmental cross (angus , red angus , shorthorn , hereford ) the shorthorn and red angus crosses are my favorites , I sometimes think they are better mothers than the purebreds.We are using a black simmental bull

I raise registered Simmentals! Great cattle, and some good folks in the organization here in Texas as well!

What bloodlines is your black bull Shorty?

A. delaGarza":24qocto7 said:
Simmentals the best dual Purpose breed and Simbrah the "All purpose American Breed"

Glad to see you back

dun

thanks, beign out working in my new farm, and just arrive from the Limousin and Romagnola National Fair in Guadalajara, Mexico were I obtain with my Romagnola cattle the male and female Grand Champions and with Limousin the Reserve Grand Champion Bull and the heifer Championship.
Next week I will be going to the State of Yucatan to the Brahman World Congress

dun":2actefyq said:
A. delaGarza":2actefyq said:
Simmentals the best dual Purpose breed and Simbrah the "All purpose American Breed"

Glad to see you back

dun

Congratulations, A. Delegraza. Sounds like you're really sweeping those shows.

Here's a picture of a heifer calf of mine that I'm keeping as a replacement this year. Her sire is of the Neff line (Fleckvieh influenced). This isn't the best posed picture, but you know how those calves just won't hold still for photo opps. Thick backed as well, but in this picture she doesn't really show off her length. Her dam definately 'got milk'.

Take care.

Hpim4182.jpg

Cattle Annie, I like the full flecks. Unfortunatly I only have one left in the commercial herd. The old guy I got her off of said that the more leather they carried the more they would milk. Do you see any truth to that???

CattleAnnie":2yk7ryzf said:

Here's a picture of a heifer calf of mine that I'm keeping as a replacement this year. Her sire is of the Neff line (Fleckvieh influenced). This isn't the best posed picture, but you know how those calves just won't hold still for photo opps. Thick backed as well, but in this picture she doesn't really show off her length. Her dam definately 'got milk'.

Take care.

Hpim4182.jpg

What is a Fleckvieh? I"m never really around any simmental breeders.

A "Fleck" Simmental is considered a full blood as opposed to a purebred, and are from a certain area.. ok, I'm tired so I don't remember which one, but I know someone on this board will know!

They are generally thicker muscled and meatier than the traditional Simmentals, and have their own organizations outside of the Simmental Association devoted to that breeding. Generally they are deep red or red with white faces and legs.

Certherf, not too sure what you're referring to regarding "leather"... tell me more?

Bubchub, I'm feeling kind of lazy tonight so just copied and pasted a bit from the Canadian Simmental Association's website. I'll post a link to their site if anyone feels like checking it out. It's actually a nice site.

"Technically, the Simmental designation includes several breeds in Europe. The name is given specifically to the breed in Switzerland, while in Germany and Austria it is known as Fleckvieh, and in France as Pie Rouge. The Pie Rouge includes three separate herd book registries namely Abondance, Montbeliard and Pie Rouge de l'Est. In Canada the breed is known as Simmental."

http://www.simmental.com/

Up here the term Fleckvieh is used to describe a strain of Simmental that are closer in body type to the Simmies found in Germany and Austria. Not a lot of leg, but very thick and long. Very heavily muscled, almost double looking. Good milk production, but not as "dairy" as some of the North American Simmie styles (you know the type - they've blown their udder structure by their sixth calf - tall and bony looking). I've been pretty impressed by them so far. Only possible downfall I'm concerned with is that it seems that fertility and heavily muscled females don't always go hand in hand. At least that's what I noticed in some Limo cattle.
The bulls definately do have good libido and very nice scrotal circumference. No laying about chewing cud when the girls are cycling - they just get to work. Lovers, not fighters.

Take care.

CattleAnnie":uw40ti7l said:
Certherf, not too sure what you're referring to regarding "leather"... tell me more?

The leather I'm refering to is the extra throat and brisket that the Flecks tend to carry up front. Around here it is called "leather", regional thing I guess. :oops:

Fleckvieh = German Simmental, in Austria and Sourh Africa they raise fullblood Fleckvieh too

TheBullLady":3kxri5jh said:
A "Fleck" Simmental is considered a full blood as opposed to a purebred, and are from a certain area.. ok, I'm tired so I don't remember which one, but I know someone on this board will know!

They are generally thicker muscled and meatier than the traditional Simmentals, and have their own organizations outside of the Simmental Association devoted to that breeding. Generally they are deep red or red with white faces and legs.

superb, that's an excelent heifer
CattleAnnie":hjwj33bd said:

Take care.

Hpim4182.jpg

certherfbeef":33bcxhqv said:
CattleAnnie":33bcxhqv said:

The leather I'm refering to is the extra throat and brisket that the Flecks tend to carry up front. Around here it is called "leather", regional thing I guess. :oops:

We call it "leather" in Alabamy too.

Thanks for the compliment, Mr. Delagraza. She's definately a soggy calf and I'm kind of partial to those.

Certherf, thanks for the explanation on the term...really had me stumped there. Up here we call cattle with a lot of dewlap "throaty". I've never noticed a correlation between it and milk productivity, but now you've got me kind of curious. Tomorrow when we preg I'll being ogling the best producers to see if they're throaty (or leathery)... might turn out to be a connection after all, and wouldn't that be handy as another guage for picking replacements?

Take care.

Latest posts