Simmentals!

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":19dkox62 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":19dkox62 said:
Wow! do you like to type!You can play with your made up figures all you want. I'm still talking bottom line net profit.
There is a whole lot more to the cattle business than EPD's. Man, you are really STUCK on them. HELLO -=== they are a TOOL. They are just 1 part of the process of BREEDING good quality cattle for a living.
I stand my ground. I raise GREAT quality, hard working momma cows that make a living for me & for my customers. You can stay in your make believe world of numbers. I will continue to raise what makes me $$$$.
And you are so out of touch yourself, if you can't believe that the cattle are biggest in the N and E, medium in the West & smallest in the South. Natural forage dictates that fact.
Are you talking about the Georgia State Breeders sale last week?

No but you have to remember you are dealing with THE EXPERT...I'm still wanting to see some of his perfect cattle that he raises in this perfect world.

I believe you can see them on this website.. www.edrsimmental.com

Jovid":1p25ja6n said:
TexasBred":1p25ja6n said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1p25ja6n said:
Wow! do you like to type!You can play with your made up figures all you want. I'm still talking bottom line net profit.
There is a whole lot more to the cattle business than EPD's. Man, you are really STUCK on them. HELLO -=== they are a TOOL. They are just 1 part of the process of BREEDING good quality cattle for a living.
I stand my ground. I raise GREAT quality, hard working momma cows that make a living for me & for my customers. You can stay in your make believe world of numbers. I will continue to raise what makes me $$$$.
And you are so out of touch yourself, if you can't believe that the cattle are biggest in the N and E, medium in the West & smallest in the South. Natural forage dictates that fact.
Are you talking about the Georgia State Breeders sale last week?

No but you have to remember you are dealing with THE EXPERT...I'm still wanting to see some of his perfect cattle that he raises in this perfect world.

I believe you can see them on this website.. http://www.edrsimmental.com

All 3 of them!

Dang, I posted this once & it's not here, so here I go again.
Here's a pic of one of his 1/2 SimAngus he has for sale on his web site:
melrose1.jpg.opt671x614o0,0s671x614.jpg

She was born 2-7-07 and is due to calve 9-11. Her first calf was born on 1-24-09 (great!) but her 2nd calf wasn't born until 10-5-10 :shock: OMG - and this is the perfect farm we're talking about. She must not have read how great her numbers were on her pedigree.

And BTW, all my females would work great for commercial breeders - they just can't afford them.

bse":b1f4snxb said:
Just wondering where the line to the south is drawn not getting into any arguments but im south of the mason dixon line(mid tn) Have 32 momma cows excluding first calving heifers lightest cow is 1400 probably up to 1800 just sold 3 culls averaged 1542. They are PB angus some PB Sim and lots of crosses between the 2.I AI to both breeds, just like big cattle forage is good around here most everyone i know around here have pretty big cattle.
You are cashing in on a tremendous cross!!!
I know there are lots of heavier cows all over the country. The smallest/lightest cattle are "generally" in the hotter, dryer areas that can't sustain larger cattle (South).
Don't you just love those checks from your culls???? At least at the end of her "career", you have a great salvage value.
And, BTW JS, an 1800# cow does not eat twice as much as a 900# cow.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3g36cfdh said:
bse":3g36cfdh said:
Just wondering where the line to the south is drawn not getting into any arguments but im south of the mason dixon line(mid tn) Have 32 momma cows excluding first calving heifers lightest cow is 1400 probably up to 1800 just sold 3 culls averaged 1542. They are PB angus some PB Sim and lots of crosses between the 2.I AI to both breeds, just like big cattle forage is good around here most everyone i know around here have pretty big cattle.
I know there are lots of heavier cows all over the country. The smallest/lightest cattle are "generally" in the hotter, dryer areas that can't sustain larger cattle (South).
Don't you just love those checks from your culls???? At least at the end of her "career", you have a great salvage value.

To be fair though Jeanne she doesn't produce twice as much either. I have one bloodline of GV cows that avg1100 they wean an avg calf right @ 600lbs. My 1700lb GV cows don't do proportionally better they milk more eat more and wean a bigger calf but I am wondering if it is worth it. They sure do eat.

3-Way - yes, there's a lot to what you say. You can take a small cow, breed to large bull & she "can" wean off over 50% of her wt. Where if you have a heavy wt cow, unless you plan on breeding her terminal to a large frame bull, you play heck getting her to wean equal or over 50%.
Most of my cows are in the 5 frame, but they are really deep & thick and weigh up on the scales. Yes, I get some 800+ 205 wts - as high as 905#, but average 710#. In most cases, a 700# WW steer is a money maker with an under $500/cow/yr. My males are my cash flow (90+% steers) - my females are my money makers. With the few bulls we sell, retained feedlot steers & weaned steers, they pretty much pay for the cows. Especially on these years that I'm getting 66% males :lol:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2s2xlw72 said:
bse":2s2xlw72 said:

That is a whole nother subject I would like to get into later.

Jeanne you have good cows no matter what color they are and what kind of paper their names are printed on. ;-)

And BTW, all my females would work great for commercial breeders - they just can't afford them.[/quote]
they could probably afford em,, but they won't spend that kind of money for just one female,, that goes toward the bull

ALACOWMAN":3t53moji said:
And BTW, all my females would work great for commercial breeders - they just can't afford them.
they could probably afford em,, but they won't spend that kind of money for just one female,, that goes toward the bull[/quote]

Correct!! Shouldn't say they can't afford them :shock: I'm sure there are lots of commercial operations that could buy me out! Just not PRACTICAL to put that kind of money into them. The bull is a different story. But, in my case, bulls are priced affordable for all buyers - including and mostly commercial buyers.

JHH - thank you!

JustSimmental":1ggl6jro said:
I think Simmental compliment Blk Angus the best because the PB Simms help Angus with their obvious weaknesses: Poor WW and YW ; Poor REA and BF categories. In return Angus help Simmental in their obvious weaknesses in BW, IMF and MM (cutting down on the milk).

Hereford are weak in so many EPD's of economic importance --anything would be beneficial to them.

Red Angus are fairly weak in all but 1 category: WW, YW, MM, REA and IMF; BW is good

Shorthorn BW is terrible, WW and YW is fair to good, but too much milk which increases mantainence expenses, Fair to poor on IMF and Fair REA

Charolais BW is terrible, WW and YW is very good, MM is good, REA is good, but IMF is in the toilet, which can will end in Select grade cattle. Angus would be their best cross.

All the heat tolerant cattle are weak in carcass merits period.

Limmy's are select grade cattle period-- like eating a shoe.. I dont kow anyone that goes to the steakhouse and purposely orders a Select ribeye.

Gelbvieh are weak in WW, pathetic in YW, MM is getting high, and in the toilet on IMF and REA. BW is ok.

To answer your question Simmental and Blk Angus will definately work best and here is my information when looking at the various breeds:
http://www.beefcattlebiz.com/support-files/abepd.pdf

First of all Gelbvieh USUALLY have the highest WW of simmental angus hereford mebbe even char. Check out the GV assosiation of America

charlie01":1ggl6jro said:
what breeds go well with Simmentals?
planning on breeding composite bulls and selling them.

I had some of the first SimAngus in my state 14 years ago. I kept all the heifers and boy! did they produce! I didn't think anything could beat them.
About 4 years ago I started using some quality Reg Polled Hereford on my brood cows and I got more muscle and another 50 lbs in weaning weight. The F1 cows are great. I am sticking with that cross for now, but would also like to use a Rowtokawa Devon on them at some point because I have seen the results of those bulls on some of my Sim cows that I sold a few years ago. Wow! Muscle and fast growth on grass only! Simmentals are versatile and complementary on every breed you can possibly cross them with. I love their gentle nature and their longevity!

houstoncutter":3lqyu146 said:
If you were breeding F1 heifers sign me up, but as for bulls....No I am old school....this composite bull crud is going to be the death of us.....whens the last time you eat a chicken brest.....there is a perfect example of the composite breeding....They bred to get those big brests and they ended up with a big piece of dry meat.....These days i will only eat thighs and legs...Guess I view hybrid vigor different than some people, but give me a true F1 crossed with a purebull or fullblood that will compliment what your trying to achieve.
I like your style! I sent you the limo pic for your avitar..you get it?

CowCop I've always wondered about simi X devon and it seemed great as a theory but never heard of anyone doing it. Also I dont breed GV were just using them on our mostly angus herd

I wouldn't mind trying a Simm bull at some point, but I'm not sure whether it will be my next bull or not, I might go back to a Saler for a while first if I can find one.

As for GV weaning weights and year weights, I will say that I must differ with that, I kept 4 heifers and a steer last year (of 21 calves), the heifers are all in the 900's at a year old, and the steer is well over 1000. They also look like they have a lot of muscle on the back, which is a good place for it.

As for Shorthorns and Char's having terrible birthweights, that's all relative to the size of your cows. Of course it's ridiculous to breed a little herf to a big Char bull, but it's equally ridiculous to have big cows and breed them to dexters. That being said, My cows are mostly in the Frame 7's, I do have one huge cow who's a frame 9-and-some, her back is nearly up to my chin and I'm 6'. With cows like mine, I like to have their first calf around 80 lbs, but by the time they're 5 years old I'd cull anything that a 120 lb calf would pose a problem to. I am a person who puts a lot of value on maternal calving ease and always have, which means I can be less fussy about the BWs of the bulls I have. I've found the bigger calves are really quick to start eating hay as well, with many starting around 4-5 days, while a 70 lb calf will take a couple weeks.

The other thing about BW's is it's not a true indicator of how hard the birth will be, A Saler calf at 120 lbs is easier than a GV at the same weight since Salers are like spaghetti. Some breeds have big heads and pose problems at the start of the calving process, while from my experience I see that GV are at risk for hip-lock since they have heavily built hind quarters