simmentals

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am interested in adding simmentals to my hereford herd, in order to raise black herefords....I need to know if I would be better off with the black trait coming from a simmental bull or a heifer.

[email protected]

I ahve given a good deal of thought to crossing Hrefords with either Simmenthal or Gelbvieh. My thought are, the resulting calf will be a rapid grower with a high demand for milk from it's mother. Herefords generally are not all that heavy of milkers. The Gelbvieh or Simmenthal cows/heifer will produce plenty of milk to feed a large fast growing calf so it can realize it's potential. If you use a Hereford cow it had better have an over a 20 lb EPD for milk, the higher the better. We have used Hereford bulls on our angus cows and Angus bull on a Hereford, the HerefordXAngus calves are always larger and better looking at weanling and yearling ages, although by two years old the AngusXHereford calves have nearly caught up. Woth a larfe continental cross calf I would think the difference would be really magnified. For what it's worth

dunmovin farms

> I am interested in adding
> simmentals to my hereford herd, in
> order to raise black
> herefords....I need to know if I
> would be better off with the black
> trait coming from a simmental bull
> or a heifer.

I crossed my reg hereford bull with a angus/limo cow and received a gorgeous black white faced bull..I then bred him with a reg hereford cow and received the perfect black baldy heifer.. I would like to receive more of these results but use the simmental instead of the angus/limo...which would I be better off using...the hereford bull with a simmental cow or a hereford cow with a simmental bull...which would give me the black baldy results? milk production has never been a problem, my hereford cows have always produced an abundance of milk and have at times helped nurse other cows' calves.

[email protected]

As long as your using a purebred Hereford it shouldn't matter. Some Simmenthals don't throw the white faces any more, some throw spotting, some don't.

dunmovin farms

> I crossed my reg hereford bull
> with a angus/limo cow and received
> a gorgeous black white faced
> bull..I then bred him with a reg
> hereford cow and received the
> perfect black baldy heifer.. I
> would like to receive more of
> these results but use the
> simmental instead of the
> angus/limo...which would I be
> better off using...the hereford
> bull with a simmental cow or a
> hereford cow with a simmental
> bull...which would give me the
> black baldy results? milk
> production has never been a
> problem, my hereford cows have
> always produced an abundance of
> milk and have at times helped
> nurse other cows' calves.

Dawn, I think that you could go either way. Have have seen the results of Simmental bulls on Hereford cows. The black baldy females make excellent cows and are much better milkers than the Hereford X Angus cross.

> I crossed my reg hereford bull
> with a angus/limo cow and received
> a gorgeous black white faced
> bull..I then bred him with a reg
> hereford cow and received the
> perfect black baldy heifer.. I
> would like to receive more of
> these results but use the
> simmental instead of the
> angus/limo...which would I be
> better off using...the hereford
> bull with a simmental cow or a
> hereford cow with a simmental
> bull...which would give me the
> black baldy results? milk
> production has never been a
> problem, my hereford cows have
> always produced an abundance of
> milk and have at times helped
> nurse other cows' calves. Although it s not an answer to your question , here's something for your consideration. Retain some of those heifers from the Reg. Hereford bull and Angus/Limo cows. Breed them to an angus bull and you will have some really great calves most of which will be black. I have done this with black baldie cows and Limo bull with the resulting heifers being bred back to angus. Either way a great 3-way cross.

[email protected]