simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

Both breeds of bulls will add the same amount of hybrid vigor. Since Brangus are 5/8 Angus, you would need to use a purebred Simmental bull and not a Sim-Angus.

Outside of that, what sells better in your area? Solids or Black Baldies?

Actually, the most hybrid vigour would come from the hereford cross as the herefords are further removed from brangus because of the purity of herefords. The simmental genepool had been diluted too much because of the open herdbook.

Typically a simmental sired calf would be growthier than a hereford sired calf and to answer your original question, for a terminal cross I'd go with Simmental.

cbcr":t4klfsh7 said:
Both breeds of bulls will add the same amount of hybrid vigor. Since Brangus are 5/8 Angus, you would need to use a purebred Simmental bull and not a Sim-Angus.

Outside of that, what sells better in your area? Solids or Black Baldies?
both do very well, but i want the extra pounds i could get.

glacierridge":1qukpbs9 said:
Would definitely need mature cows for this one...
But he looks to be a dang curve breaker... Not even bender.
Must be something in those genes for his YW and his calves YW.
Can't be all feed.
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1SM00123&lang=EN

Impossible must be a misprint. thats 4lbs adg for the ww and 4.5 adg from bw to yw. that more than twice the average :bs: :bs: and that 4.58lbs from ww to yw. not on a yearling.

Actually...
My niece showed a xbred calf sired by that Red Density, he was 575 at 9 months, 1208 at 15 months at the market show, and wasn't feed real special or pushed super hard, he just enjoyed eating and growing.
We TRIED to give her a little calf cause she's a little girl!!

glacierridge":7c9cc6pe said:
Actually...
My niece showed a xbred calf sired by that Red Density, he was 575 at 9 months, 1208 at 15 months at the market show, and wasn't feed real special or pushed super hard, he just enjoyed eating and growing.
We TRIED to give her a little calf cause she's a little girl!!
That I can buy that is 3.5 lbs a day. but when reading epd most of those are "adjusted".

I just do not believe a bull can average 4.5 lbs a day from birth to yw. well know weight will be on a bell curve can you imagine how tall the bell is. I wonder how many guys have weighed an animal every month. I would also like to see a comparison of grass only, calf creep, and open creep on a monthly basis from birth to yearling.

jaimefloresh":1ypjlz41 said:
what you think will work better for brangus momas to have hevier calves, no for replacements. hereford or simmental

If you are talking pounds, then I think that the answer is obvious; Simmental. Look across the board at weaning weights of Hereford cross calves and Simmental cross calves; Simmental will usually outweigh. They are bigger framed, heavier muscled, and gain well. Now, with that said, you can put the best Hereford against the worst Simmental and kick the Simmental's rump on gains, so make sure you are using a bull that supports those heavy weaning weights (Simmental EPD's are pretty darn accurate!). Just because a bull has big weaning weights DOES NOT MEAN he is not calving ease! But with brangus cows, I doubt you will have calving problems. If you really want to pound the scale, go with a full blood Simmental. Those Fleck cattle can really add pounds...
Just the opinion of a fan of the breed! :tiphat:

Another thought that was brought up by Anne: How feeding makes a difference!

Several days ago, I posted a thread about our steers we are raising for the county carcass contest. One is a June 13, and weighed in at 950 pounds (for a 8 month old calf). This calf was weaned in November (so 5 months) because we were flushing his dam so we wanted to put some weight on her. He was put on grain. He, along with the other steer that is 1010 pounds and a December, are gobbling up 50 pounds of a cheap winter creep daily.
This steer calf had a 3/4 sib brother (the steer's dam is the other calf's grandam), same bull and only different in birth dates by 2 days. We left the brother a bull, and left him out with the cows as a teaser bull calf for breeding the fall cows. No grain, just hay, milk and chasing cows in heat. We pulled him in and weaned him at 7 months and he was 696 pounds. There is a big difference in weight, ONLY BECAUSE the steer has had access to 25 pounds of grain a day since November, versus the bull calf had not.
FEEDING makes a huge difference in weaning weights. But genetics have to be there to make it happen!

Latest posts