Simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

RazorbackRed

Reaction score
I am not real familiar with this bred. Can anyone that has experience with them give me a quick run down on the bred, and some of theri pros and cons...What makes them unique.

We've had Simmentals for over 20 years. Started with the "original" blond and white spotted cows. Great milking cows, but that type took too long to feed out, so the feedlots didn't like them as well as a more moderate breed. Now they're moderate framed and meaty, similar to a lot of the present day breeds really.

The ones I've had have always been docile, they've done well at the feed lot (we've run three groups through Ranch to Rail) and have good weight gains. A lot of the more modern bloodlines are polled, and of course most are either red or black now.

They also cross really really good with Brahmans!

I have one steer of that breed that I am raising up for the freezer. He's getting huge. I am very satisfied with the weight he's putting on. He is very docile and will stop eating to be scratched and petted. He's getting a little big for that now,though. I think he'll make some good eating.