Simmental X cross bred & Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Howdy Folks,
I've been spending some time on this site , I really enjoy the jokes in the "Coffee Shop" Section!!
For the record I am A Republican!!! And I am proud to be a American!!

We were very lucky a few years ago, when we found a 53 acre place in between Flatonia & La Grange (Texas).

The property had been neglected , lots of Mesquite & huisatch (I don't think I'm spelling that right)

Any way we were able to buy some cattle ( 4 pairs) for a good price @
the auction. Once again we were lucky, it was during a drought(2002).
We then bought a red Simmental bull ( no papers)He was around 14 months old ($650)

Out of the 4 pairs that we bought all the calves were hiefers, two of the cows were allready bred.

I know that I'm getting long winded here, but I've read in some other post that ya'll would appreciate as much info as possible.

I'm very pleased with my first crop of calves 3 bulls , 3 heifers.

Now here are my questions:: I would like to keep the 3 hiefers, to replace the older cows that we bought at the auction, can they be bred back to the sire??

We also bought a Hereford hiefer at the auction Are there any complications in a Simmental / Hereford cross??

long term I,d like to have a black colored herd. I picked the Simmental breed , because my research showed them to be the most docile.My bull is very timid!!( I have 3 daughters)Is there a black Homozygous Simmenntal out there , or is that a Angus X Simmental Cross???

Well I gotta go!! My wife says I'm spending to much time in front of this computer.
If your reading this , Thank you for taking the time to do so!!

BILL WALLACE :

[/b]

If the heifers have been cycling and are yearlings or older they probaly bred to their sire if he has been running with them.
There should be no problems with the Hereford X Simmental.

As far as having a black colored herd there are many Good Reputation Angus Breeders with very good bulls for sale privately.
You might go visit Live Oak Farms on State Hwy 159. To my understanding they have a pretty good herd of Reg. Angus.

Hey hey ya'll!! The poor guy wants a SIMMENTAL.. not an ANGUS! Quit trying to send him to an Angus breeder!!

Yes.. there ARE homozygous black and homozygous polled SIMMENTAL bulls! You are in a good area of Simmental breeders! I would suggest you contact the Texas Simmental / Simbrah association.. ask for Judy Hill, and tell her you'd like a member directory! (They have a web site)

Simmental / Hereford cross is a good one! The only one better would be Simmental / Brahman cross!

Just my opinion, of course.. before y'all take my head off...

TheBullLady":1bfb8mye said:
Yes.. there ARE homozygous black and homozygous polled SIMMENTAL bulls! You are in a good area of Simmental breeders!

basically that is a simmental/angus cross. the angus may be so far back in the genes that it may now be called a purebred simmental but simmentals aren't/weren't black & the black gene had to come from somewhere (probably angus). the polled gene probably came from there as well although some of the polled simmentals have been bred from mutations of the horned gene.

i don't want to start a war, either & for anyone who doesn't know, i don't raise simmental OR angus. i just find it kind of amusing w/the breeds who allow percentages to pretend the black gene was some sort of mutation & came out of nowhere.

Well Bull Lady, if he really wants a Simmental, he'd better quit looking for a homo black/homo polled bull or he'll probably be getting Angus genetics anyway.

txag":14fxlxc6 said:
TheBullLady":14fxlxc6 said:
Yes.. there ARE homozygous black and homozygous polled SIMMENTAL bulls! You are in a good area of Simmental breeders!

basically that is a simmental/angus cross. the angus may be so far back in the genes that it may now be called a purebred simmental but simmentals aren't/weren't black & the black gene had to come from somewhere (probably angus). the polled gene probably came from there as well although some of the polled simmentals have been bred from mutations of the horned gene.

i don't want to start a war, either & for anyone who doesn't know, i don't raise simmental OR angus. i just find it kind of amusing w/the breeds who allow percentages to pretend the black gene was some sort of mutation & came out of nowhere.

Well put txag I love it black limo's ,black herefords or simms everyone has an Angus in the wood pile.

Campground Cattle":30aa1x5a said:
txag":30aa1x5a said:
TheBullLady":30aa1x5a said:

Well put txag I love it black limo's ,black herefords or simms everyone has an Angus in the wood pile.

Yea, Campground. Got to love those black Beefmasters, too!

I will just keep quiet and enjoy the other "Breeds" breeders defend the Angus.
Thanks guys.

I apreciate the advice,I think what I'm going to is build up my small herd of Simmental with Commercial cows. I like the Simmental influence. Once I have my herd built up. ( 10 to 11) young, large, framed cows. I think I'll get either a Brangus , Angus , or Simmental bull. And the color will be BLACK!!

I have nothing against Angus!! I sure didn't want to start a contraversy!!
And I agree that pretty much any kind of beef that is black , probably has some Angus in it somewhere! I feel like "black" will in the long run , sell better at the auction barn. It seems like sometimes the " Market" is paying more for Charolais crossed with "black" Angus, Brangus, Whatever. To me that seems to be more like a trend or phase.

But what do I know??? thanks to all that responded!!!!!!!!!!
Bill Wallace[/b]

MuldoonTexasBill":32x25cy0 said:
I apreciate the advice,I think what I'm going to is build up my small herd of Simmental with Commercial cows. I like the Simmental influence. Once I have my herd built up. ( 10 to 11) young, large, framed cows. I think I'll get either a Brangus , Angus , or Simmental bull. And the color will be BLACK!!

I have nothing against Angus!! I sure didn't want to start a contraversy!!
And I agree that pretty much any kind of beef that is black , probably has some Angus in it somewhere! I feel like "black" will in the long run , sell better at the auction barn. It seems like sometimes the " Market" is paying more for Charolais crossed with "black" Angus, Brangus, Whatever. To me that seems to be more like a trend or phase.

But what do I know??? thanks to all that responded!!!!!!!!!!
Bill Wallace[/b]

You didn't start a controversy its hilarious to listen to all these cattlemen with breeds that just turned black over the years. Raise and enjoy what you like it doesn't matter what color.

MuldoonTexasBill":2jo4jjh7 said:
I feel like "black" will in the long run , sell better at the auction barn. It seems like sometimes the " Market" is paying more for Charolais crossed with "black" Angus, Brangus, Whatever. To me that seems to be more like a trend or phase.

good cattle bring good prices no matter what color they are.

I would look seriously at AI'ing your herd. It's small enough owning a bull to breed does not make good economic sense. With AI you can select sires which do throw black horn free calves. Look for larger framed sires which still have a CE above 7.5. Talk to your Vet regarding a sound sync program, and find someone local who has a good reputation for getting heifer to stick. I do agree that if your heifers are 7months old and still with their sire..... bet their bred. One of two things typically happen, you will get a set of earth shattering great calves, or you'll end up with some really odd cattle. You could abort them with ludilite(sp) and re-breed if you chose to. ABS has many sound sires to select from, and can also recommend a breeder in your area.

As for the others who say Black anything is angus.....well I have to admit their most likely correct. To that end I offer is there any PUREBRED cow anywhere? Prior to DNA testing what are the chances some farmer lied or made a mistake?

Beyond that I agree the Simmental breed is docile and very plesant to work. They are VERY easy calvers great milkers and make a boat load of beef. We run Simmies and SimmAngus crosses, trying to maintain a solid balance. We run larger framed cattle as they seem to winter better. They have the body mass to hold up under 40 or 50 below temps.

Hope this helps and good luck!

John

You may want to make plans to attend the annual bull auction that is held in early January each year in El Campo, Texas --- wouldn't be a real long drive from Muldoon (assuming you are from the Muldoon that is in Fayette county Texas). There are usually 25 to 30 nice Simmental/Angus bulls (mostly solid black but a few white heads) offered as well as some "pure" (!!!) black Simmies. Mostly 50/50 crosses, but there are some other percentage combinations offered as well. These bulls come out of eastern Nebraska, but the folks in south east Texas have apparently had good results using them.

Just curious, have you ever been to Great Guns Simmentals over in Schulenburg?

OK, after posting that comment I just now went back to your original post from yesterday and see that you are definitely in Fayette county. Good luck with the mesquite and huisache! And what SimmAngus just posted about using AI, and the economics of owning a bull to use with a small number of cows is certainly something well worth considering. Any chance of working some sort of co-op sort of deal with a friendly neighbor?

YES.. IT IS THE "FAYETTE COUNTY" MULDOON.
IS GREAT GUNS A RANCH??
JOHN FROM WAY UP NORTH SUGGESTED "AI"
I MAY TRY THAT WITH MY FIRST 3 HEIFERS THAT ARE OUT OF MY SIMME BULL.
I BOUGHT MY BULL FROM JIMMY HOLUB IN MOULTON.HE IS A RED BULL AND SEVERAL PEOPLE HAVE MISTAKEN HIM FOR A LIMM.THE ONLY WHITE
ON THE BULL ISA SMALL AMMOUNT AROUND HIS BACK LOWWER FEET.

Latest posts