Simmental X Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

driggsimm

Reaction score
The hottest crossbreed going now here in Georgia is using good black Simmental bulls back on purebred or almost purebred black angus commercial cows. The resulting calves are all black and polled but posess added hybrid vigor, increased milk production in the females kept for replacements and increased yield grade in the ones sent to slaughter. Almost all qualify for the certified Angus beef program.

Are there any readers familiar with how this cross is working in their part of the country?

In my personal opinion that is probably the best continental british cross followed closely by Gelbvieh in place of the Simmenthal. Of course they should be red instead of black, but that's another personal preference.

dun

driggsimm":yrondwlp said:
The hottest crossbreed going now here in Georgia is using good black Simmental bulls back on purebred or almost purebred black angus commercial cows. The resulting calves are all black and polled but posess added hybrid vigor, increased milk production in the females kept for replacements and increased yield grade in the ones sent to slaughter. Almost all qualify for the certified Angus beef program.

Are there any readers familiar with how this cross is working in their part of the country?

It's workin pretty good a few hundred miles to the north of you, driggsimm. Stocky, quick growing calves, and like you said, most of the heifer's we've kept have been pretty good milkers with few calving problems

from a carcass standpoint that cross works every where

english x continintal, you pick it

agree, the Red Simmangus will look better, and where you need Brahman influence cattle, how about the Simbrangus (Simbrah X Red Brangus), Simbrah x Red Angus or Red Brangus X Simmental will work too. It will work even if they are Blacks but Red is my preference

dun":3u3qllky said:
In my personal opinion that is probably the best continental british cross followed closely by Gelbvieh in place of the Simmenthal. Of course they should be red instead of black, but that's another personal preference.

dun

driggsimm":3u3qllky said:

dun":38hgb115 said:

dun

We currently run red Simmental cattle but want to get into a Simm X Red Angus program for next years calf crop. We are going to have to purchase some new stock and plan to pick up some Red Angus females regardless of what we do.. What are your thoughts on the potential for the calves? Red Angus bull or Simm.? We already have a registered calving ease Simm bull but wondered if we might be better off to go with Simm cows and a Red Angus bull? What are your experiences or thoughts?

Definately a good cross.. and the Simmental Association has been pushing it as well!

We recently bought a reg. Simmental bull at an all bull sale in Missouri.. and the Angus x Simmental bulls brought very close to the same $$ as the purebred Simmentals.

Of course, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Brahman x Simmental cross.. especially in the south!

Depends on the cows and the bulls. If you're Red Angus are big framed mature cows, a calving ease Simmenthal bull should work fine. Since you already have the Simmenthal cows, I would more more inclined to put my money on a very good Red Angus bull. Better yet would be to find some F1 Red Angus Simmenthal heifers or cows.
Remember too, calving ease in a Simmenthal doesn't translate to calving ease in a Red Angus. This is one of those instances when I would look at calving ease numbers but also be very tight on BW.

dun

fit2btied":1sfx0cw1 said:
We currently run red Simmental cattle but want to get into a Simm X Red Angus program for next years calf crop. We are going to have to purchase some new stock and plan to pick up some Red Angus females regardless of what we do.. What are your thoughts on the potential for the calves? Red Angus bull or Simm.? We already have a registered calving ease Simm bull but wondered if we might be better off to go with Simm cows and a Red Angus bull? What are your experiences or thoughts?

driggsimm":21wa578u said:

i have a friend in southern arkansas who is going to the simi-angus cross and loves them. they sure do look good. other breeds are going to the angus cross as well. the limousin's call it lim-flex or something like that.

what do you think of this cross 1/4 brahman 1/4 hereford 1/2 limo and then bred to a 100% angus bull? too many breeds or do you think this could be a good mix? it would seem that they should be good milkers with plenty of muscle and length.

what do y'all think?

jt

The problem I see with these composite breeds (and I have lots of them) is that the predictability of all of your traits goes way down. I used a Simm-Angus bull last year on my commercial cows and I got every shape and size and color of calves you could imagine. Uniformity goes right out the window.

Cattle Rack Rancher":2cw4wa83 said:
The problem I see with these composite breeds (and I have lots of them) is that the predictability of all of your traits goes way down. I used a Simm-Angus bull last year on my commercial cows and I got every shape and size and color of calves you could imagine. Uniformity goes right out the window.

totally agree F-1's are great for teminal calves or for a purebreed bull , composites seem to unprdictable for me.

Time to irritate some more folks. I think 1/4 Brahman, 1.4 Hereford and half Angus (you could use those ugly black ones but I prefer RED), and use a limo Angus F1 bull. Sell all calves from that cross. That way you don't have to put up with the limo in you herd and you'll get more milk then if you have limo in your cows.

dun

jt":36c2binh said:
what do you think of this cross 1/4 brahman 1/4 hereford 1/2 limo and then bred to a 100% angus bull? too many breeds or do you think this could be a good mix? it would seem that they should be good milkers with plenty of muscle and length.

what do y'all think?

jt

I will take the Hereford and put Simmental blood in

dun":13xappwu said:
Time to irritate some more folks. I think 1/4 Brahman, 1.4 Hereford and half Angus (you could use those ugly black ones but I prefer RED), and use a limo Angus F1 bull. Sell all calves from that cross. That way you don't have to put up with the limo in you herd and you'll get more milk then if you have limo in your cows.

dun

jt":13xappwu said:

what do y'all think?

jt

driggsimm":2ckeq60j said:

We live in South Dakota and have been using the SimmAngus crosses for the last several years. We calve in late February, with very few problems. The cows and resultant calves do very well in our extream climate swings. We are currently breeding a set of replacment heifers which are being bred to a Shannigan F5 son with a CE EPD score of 10.

I agree with Dunn the 1/4 Brahman 1/4 Herford 1/2 angus make some REALLY nice calves.

dun

Was that really you Dun?
I thought you once told me that a F1 bull was just throwing another nickle in the pot.
I do agree with your statement above, and I do believe that a F1 bull could be good, providing he has exceptional parents.
Hillbilly