Simmental vs Hereford Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Fact of life...unless you have pot loads of uniform quality calves taking a hit come sale day is given. That said when I dispersed the majority of my herd when I moved to OR and didn't have an established cliental, my Red Angus sale calves were well received. YMMV

There are a few options in some areas for marketing Hereford or RedAngus calves. In Ky and Tn I know there are Hereford influence sales that are geared toward the CHB brand. In KY the sale is 2 times a year. I have bought and sold there several times. It generally does pretty good especially if there are big groups of calves. My issue with it is the timing of the sales are not good for us and lists of times the market has dropped by the time of the sale. As much as we prefer running straight bred Herefords, we have moved away from that recently and will be using mostly black bulls for the coming year as it gives more options.

About a 1.5 from Dublin, Iam about a 10 minute drive from the TRI-State market in Abingdon. I haven't sold any of my calves through the VQA sales here. Usually just take them to TRI-State and sell them in groups and they usually bring top price. Sometimes I sell at CH in Glade Sprimgs.
You really need to look into those VQA sales. They will ALWAYS bring more than CH (by a mile). I think you'd really benefit from it. You should talk with Phil Blevins about the program. Best thing we've done to help the bottom line in a long time.

Then why are Hereford and red angus getting docked? I'd have to think red angus would be as good as black, and I've finished some Herefords that were a superior beef.

Why do the char cross calves often get docked in some areas? 🤔
Same as the Hereford
Because the stockers are not ordering them.
There's a period between weaning and feeding called stocking. It's done differently in different places. Spring calves in the SW are almost without exception turned out on winter wheat. Not fed daily rations like your snow covered areas, therefore there is a different demand. As someone said earlier, old habits are hard to break. Just because someone can grow and finish a Hereford steer prime behind the barn does not make it the best choice for turning out on pasture in large groups. The customer gets to buy what he wants, the fact that may not be what your selling means nothing.

In this area Hereford/Angus baldies still consistently top the market, then the good Angus. Some barns around here will allow the seller to state no cuts for color. Others don't allow it even if not stated. While one of the larger barns allow the buyers to ask for color cuts and don't allow the seller to state no color cuts. What I've seen is the same buyer that asks for a color cut will buy the cuts and say put them back on the group. It is about being anle to buy them cheaper if they can. We currently sell at a barn that allows us to state no color cut. We will have a few red baldies and they sell with group. The same buyer that asks for color cuts at the other barn bids and many times buy them. Last year our strs topped the sale and also sold better than similar weights at the other area auctions. In this area Char crosses get docked more than a Red aldie and as much as a good Hereford

Latest posts