Simmental/Red Angus X

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just purchased 4 red/white Simmental heifers from a very reputable dealer here in Kentucky. I have access to a beautiful registered red angus bull. He is very high strung. Would like to keep the Simmental temperament. Do you believe that if the calves are handled regularly that they will be more docile? Of do you believe it is all in the genes? Thanks in advance for any opinions!

[email protected]

It can be either genetic or in the handling. The question is, are you willing to take a chance on it being genetics and are you prepared for the problems with dealing with a goofy bull? The Red Angus bulls we have dealt with have all been very calm and easy going. Last year I went to a large Red Angus slae, 400 plus head nearly 300 of which were bulls. One bull and one heifer went totally nuts in the ring, cleared the ring workers and tried getting under the fence, the bull was throwing sawdust, bellowing and acted like a total lunatic, the heifer was nearly as bad. Oyt of that many, to only have two that acted up is a pretty good barometer of breed temperment. As soon as they got back into the pens with the others they settled right down, but it still gave me a pause. Didn't seem to bother anyone else, but that's me.

dun

> I just purchased 4 red/white
> Simmental heifers from a very
> reputable dealer here in Kentucky.
> I have access to a beautiful
> registered red angus bull. He is
> very high strung. Would like to
> keep the Simmental temperament. Do
> you believe that if the calves are
> handled regularly that they will
> be more docile? Of do you believe
> it is all in the genes? Thanks in
> advance for any opinions!

the Simmy x Red Angus Cross makes phenominal steers and cows. We breed those 1/2 blood cows to a homo. black Simmy bull and the calves are the best on the place. As far as disposition, I really think that the calves will be more like the cows than the bull. I'd take a chance.

Husker1

I think sometimes you just don't know how they will turn out. Handling them helps of course, but we've had some calves that were crazy from the start for no apparent reason. If I may ask, where is the Simmental dealer located. May throw some business their way.

> I just purchased 4 red/white
> Simmental heifers from a very
> reputable dealer here in Kentucky.
> I have access to a beautiful
> registered red angus bull. He is
> very high strung. Would like to
> keep the Simmental temperament. Do
> you believe that if the calves are
> handled regularly that they will
> be more docile? Of do you believe
> it is all in the genes? Thanks in
> advance for any opinions!