Simmental heifer not coming in heat ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess that does make sense, I'm not really in tune with running cattle properly as a financially viable business as it is just a sidline hobby for me. Having said that my cows do handle the nine months well, the calves thrive and most of the fetus growth is in the last three months anyway.

Redgully said:
I guess that does make sense, I'm not really in tune with running cattle properly as a financially viable business as it is just a sidline hobby for me. Having said that my cows do handle the nine months well, the calves thrive and most of the fetus growth is in the last three months anyway.
[/quot

I wouldn't want to wean calves in the cows last three months of gestation. Unnecessary stress on cow. We like ours to be in peak condition when they calve and it's good to give them a good break between calves. Gives them some time to put on a little weight they lost and put more into there fetus.

seems as though this topic has drifted away from original post question. some useful info has been shared and hopefully answers questions for some. I was in the dairy business for my first 45 years of farming. a 60 day dry period was normal and I would think a dairy cow gets more stress than a beef cow considering the amount of milk produced per lactation. I also still try to make hay the same as I did in the old days. I start calving in Dec. and vet says my cows have a BCS of 7-8. he has said that I feed them too well, so nursing the older calves at 9 months doesn't seem to affect body condition or stresses the cows.

use to get up at 3:30 for milking. now I get to sleep in until 4:00 for current 40hr/wk job. beef herd is my hobby now, but still wake up same time on weekends.

Well I took her to the vet today and he checked her and said she has all the parts and he didn`t see any reason she won`t be a breeder. I guess I will try her with a cidr and see if that will work. The 5 others I took with her all checked good to the A.I date so overall a good day.

I am surprised the vet didn't tell you if she had a CL and would respond to a Lut shot.
Giving a Lut shot here and there may never make her come into heat. It's all about timing. Both shots you gave her may have been at the wrong time of her cycle - and she may be having silent heats. Did he say IF she HAS been cycling?