Simmental Gestation Length?????

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Can someone tell me from their experience how many days does it take for a simmental to calve?? I AI'd a couple of simmentals on June 10,2001 and waited till July 1 to put them in the field with an Angus bull to clean up. Can simmentals take as long as 293 days to calve from the AI date?

[email protected]

Normally?, gestation for a Simmenthal is considered to be 287 days. But, (there is always a but) up to two weeks less or two weeks more is still within the "normal" range.

dunmovin farms

> Can someone tell me from their
> experience how many days does it
> take for a simmental to calve?? I
> AI'd a couple of simmentals on
> June 10,2001 and waited till July
> 1 to put them in the field with an
> Angus bull to clean up. Can
> simmentals take as long as 293
> days to calve from the AI date?

I've been AIing Simmentals for 30 years. Our National assn. works off of a 285 day period. I only AI - no clean up bulls, so I know exactly who the cow is bred to & when. I've had them up to 16 days late! This is abnormal but possible. A July 1 breeding would be due 4-12 according to my records. If you don't have a calf, I'm sure it is by the Angus bull. A June 10th breeding would have been due March 22. Jeanne

> Normally?, gestation for a
> Simmenthal is considered to be 287
> days. But, (there is always a but)
> up to two weeks less or two weeks
> more is still within the
> "normal" range.

> dunmovin farms

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

Actually, the American Simmental Assn base their due dates on 285 days. And like Dun said, this may range + or - 2 weeks. A June 10 due date would be Mar 22, a July 1st due date would be 4-12. Has she calved yet?? Jeanne
> "normal" range.

> dunmovin farms

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

Hmmm - I've posted an answer to this twice, and my board does not show it. Actually, the American Simmental Assn. uses a 285 day gestation. A June 10th breeding would have a due date of 3-22. A July 1st would have a due date of 4-12. Has she calved yet??? Jeanne
> "normal" range.

> dunmovin farms

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

> Can someone tell me from their
> experience how many days does it
> take for a simmental to calve?? I
> AI'd a couple of simmentals on
> June 10,2001 and waited till July
> 1 to put them in the field with an
> Angus bull to clean up. Can
> simmentals take as long as 293
> days to calve from the AI date? I have been raising purebred Simmental cows since 1989. I breed all my cows by A.I., so I keep pretty detailed records of breeding and calving dates. It has been my experience that it is not entirely uncommon for a Simmental cow to go ten days past her due date. Especially if her calf is a bull. Normally they calve around 283 days, but I have seen as late as 293 on several occasions. I hope this helps.

[email protected]

ITS A GIRL (heifer) born April 8, 2002

I just wondered can I put papers on a 3/8 simmental heifer or do they have to be at least halfbloods??? The momma is registered 3/4 simmy and I think the daddy would have to be Angus.

[email protected]

Latest posts