Simmental/Fleck Fay ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am a writer for Country Folks weekly newspaper and I am completing an article in Simmental breeder operation in Waverly NY.

The breeder is contemplating anew related breed Fleck Fay ??? I am looking for correct spelling and info on the breed-I am only slightly aware that it is a shorter-with a little less carcass weight.

Any information is appreciated. Ken

[email protected]

It's spelled Fleckvieh and are registered in this country with Simmenthal. I would recommend looking at the attached site:

dunmovin farms
> I am a writer for Country Folks
> weekly newspaper and I am
> completing an article in Simmental
> breeder operation in Waverly NY.

> The breeder is contemplating anew
> related breed Fleck Fay ??? I am
> looking for correct spelling and
> info on the breed-I am only
> slightly aware that it is a
> shorter-with a little less carcass
> weight.

> Any information is appreciated.
> Ken

OK State breeds of Cattle

Ken, My husband is President of the NY Simmental Assn, and I am secr/treas/editor. I would be glad to get together with you. The farm you have visited is breeding Fleckvieh. The American Simmental Assn. registers all cattle as SIMMENTAL although they may be derived from several strains of Simmental from throughout the world, including the Fleckvieh. The Flecks tend to be thicker/stouter made. If you are breeding for more meat, the Flecks can add some muscle. In some cases, you may sacrifice more meat for some calving difficulties due to the added shoulder that strain tends to have. You can check out our state breed association web page: <A HREF="http://www.NewYorkSimmental.com">http://www.NewYorkSimmental.com</A>

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

Calving difficulties and Fleck go hand in hand and from the presidents wife in NY of the Simm assoc-- bet he is in the soup line now and the wife is working for Angus. Priceless!

So, simangus23, why are you dredging up all this old stuff??? This was SEVEN YEARS AGO!
Yes, I agree with you that the "old fullblood Fleckvieh" as a "whole" was a hard calving breed compared to our American Simmentals - especially the strains that that farm was using. BUT - there are a lot of modern Fleckvieh bloodlines that have improved in all aspects. Let's get into the current status.

Jeanne,
You would think SimAngus 23 has some economic interest in trashing fleck cattle. His opinions are outdated, with bad facts, and with some apparent malicious intent to do harm to part of the breed that he lays his name to. Why someone called SimAngus would trash Sim cattle on a global electronic board is mystifying (not to mention unprofessional) to me. RV

rv@L&R":1qmyin6a said:
Jeanne,
You would think SimAngus 23 has some economic interest in trashing fleck cattle. His opinions are outdated, with bad facts, and with some apparent malicious intent to do harm to part of the breed that he lays his name to. Why someone called SimAngus> would trash Sim cattle on a global electronic board is mystifying <(not to mention unprofessional) to me. RV
what would be even more mystifying..if someone actually believed it..flecks have come a long way. my best simbrah cow's were fleck sired.

My blood pressure was starting to rise after reading SimAngus' post but then I read the informed, reasonable and intelligent posts that followed. Thanks

Sorry to Rile ya on the fleck issue but most of the fleck cattle are still too big -- keep working on it
The PB Simms are doing much better -- Hats off to them .

Latest posts