simmental epds

Help Support CattleToday:

cleland

Reaction score
Does anyone know the breec average epds for simmental? Also what are considered good numbers for simmis? What do you consider an ok CE and BW to breed to heifers?
Thanks for your help

CE 3.4
BW 2.7
WW 35.6
YW 60.5
MCE 0.7
Milk 7.4
MWWT 25.2
Stay 15.4
CWT -1.7
YG -0.05
MS 0.06
Fat 0.00
REA 0.05

Those are spring 2006 averages per Http://www.simmental.com.

Jeanne from Simme Valley would be a good person to talk to about Simmes.
She is a regular and I'm sure she'll see this post soon :).

I am also wondering about epds on the simangus cross cattle. Where do they come up with these numbers as the epds cant be used across the breeds. Am I right when I say that these epds come from the Simmi association because they can be registered as 1/2 or 3/4 bloods?

cleland":fc37yhfn said:
I am also wondering about epds on the simangus cross cattle. Where do they come up with these numbers as the epds cant be used across the breeds. Am I right when I say that these epds come from the Simmi association because they can be registered as 1/2 or 3/4 bloods?

Correct, in that each breed association does its own epd calculations.

There is new research going on though that is coming up with across breed epd tables.
Not sure how accurate they are, and some people will argue whether any epd's are worth much, but they are out there.

Im fairly new and i went to a cattle management meeting and they talked about this. I got lost a couple of times but i got some papers on epd's on beef cattle. Oh and i was told semiangus cattle are good to go with. Just what i heard

Latest posts