Simmental Diluter Gene

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Does the diluter gene only affect the color or does it have other undesirable traits associated with it? Thanks.

Color but has been documented to caue "rat tails" when crossed to black Angus

dun

I've got some of the "old type" Simmental cows with the diluter gene, and with a black bull I'll get a dun or gray calf occassionally. If you breed one to a red bull, however, you'll get a red calf. I don't know if that's always, but that's been my experience.

I can't recall ever getting a rat tailed calf from any of the cows with the diluter gene.

But, Dun, I have heard that the "rat tail" thing really wasn't a true problem. I've had lots of diluted greys with scrawny tails, NEVER saw a performance difference from contemporaries. Heard it was just another "feedlot" discount that didn't mean anything. Have you heard more concrete problems???

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1nd3jvqf said:
But, Dun, I have heard that the "rat tail" thing really wasn't a true problem. I've had lots of diluted greys with scrawny tails, NEVER saw a performance difference from contemporaries. Heard it was just another "feedlot" discount that didn't mean anything. Have you heard more concrete problems???

Didn;t say it was a problem, just said that they happen. The only problem they cause is the dock when you sell them. There are old timers that claim thme rattails won;t gorw, won;t finish, won;t milk, won;t..........................
Never noticed it, but I've only been around a half dozen of them in my life.

dun

I have two very nice Herfs that have some yellow Simm in them from about 8 generations ago. These two animals are on there way out the door this year after calving.

As to who caused the diluter gene - well perhaps it was simply the combination that did this. All the straight Herfs here have never produced a rat tail. Some combinations may produce a great calf and some will not.

Both these animals have produced what we call "smokies" when crossed with BA. The calves are grey with a dark line back and rat tails. Rather than ship them, because they were dandy animals when it came to the remainder of their conformation we ate them.

Be that as it may, this is a money game and to be successful we need to produce animals that will NOT get docked at the sale. And yes, the folks who do the buying are in the drivers seat - so why give them any excuses?

Regards,

Bez