Simmental cross

Help Support CattleToday:

monkeywerkz

Reaction score
What do you think about a maine x simmental cross, or a beefmaster x simmental cross? We've got simmental cows, and are trying to find a decent cross. I'm very new to cattle, so appreciate all comments and suggestions. We don't have a large operation by any means, just a few to keep around for beef for our family. More or less, we are trying to maximize the beef quantity while maintaining the quality.

Anyway, what are your thoughts concerning this type of cross?

Thanks,

- rwhite

Depending on your location, using an red or black Angus will work on those Simmental cows. If your in the south and looking for maximum hybrid vigor the Beefmaster or Brangus would be good. But, you could always breed a good Simbrah bull to those cows and have a percentage Simbrah and still be able to register the calves. They would make good replacement heifers or steers. Let me know if you need any info on the crossing them with Simbrah, I do raise Simbrah and am on several boards of Simbrah organization.

Thanks,

Matt Schiel
Bar M Ranch

Just relized when I posted that your in Utah. If a Beefmaster would work in your environment then a Simbrah would to. Also, if you have only a few cows then you could A.I. your cows without having to buy a bull and use the best bulls in the breed for no than $25.00 a straw.

Thanks,

Matt Schiel
Bar M Ranch

I have mainly Simm cows or sim crosses and next spring I will be useing a beefmaster bull on them, been told they'll do great ? In past years I have used black Limo bull and the cross calves were good, insize and thickness. Then for the last two year I used a White Park Bull and not only did it make great looking calves they grew just as well as the calves did in the past years. I sell all my feeder to a local feed lot at about500-600 pounds, and this year he paid me the most and told me they looked the best, extremly thick and long bodied calves.

Simmental crosses are great, I'm using Limousin now and have use Charolais and Romagnola bulls in the past with my commercials that are at least 5/8 Simmental blood, and really like my calves

monkeywerkz":2d0f467u said:
What do you think about a maine x simmental cross, or a beefmaster x simmental cross? We've got simmental cows, and are trying to find a decent cross. I'm very new to cattle, so appreciate all comments and suggestions. We don't have a large operation by any means, just a few to keep around for beef for our family. More or less, we are trying to maximize the beef quantity while maintaining the quality.

Thanks,

- rwhite

An Angus cross with the Simmental cows, is good because you get the size of the simmental, but you get the exelent marbling of the angus, if you are just wanting them for you own beef, this is a good cross

monkeywerkz":32ygwqdk said:

Thanks,

- rwhite

I don't know a thing about Beefmaster and wouldn't use Maine as you have continental blood already. Use what else works in your area and I assume that would be Angus. I would use Red Angus to avoid the greys as some of your Simmentals may be diluters.

Some of the other suggestions here may work in some areas but you are probably too far north.