SIMMENTAL Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

French Anne

Reaction score
Hi. It's the French breeder again...
Today I create this new topic to talk about my other passion: SIMMENTALS.

As some of you asked me, I post photos. Hope simmental breeders will participate!

Here is my current favourite simmental:
HARMONIE (Wille x Rumba x Far West). We bought her at an excellent breeder during an auction sale.

I will be happy to exchange about simmental genetics!

I miss my grandpa's old full blooded Fleck herd from old days. But I gotta warn you that American Simmental has gone black, just like the limousin but there are few full blooded Simmentals left in United States. Many breeds of U.S are turning into black hided animals because of Angus Association's marketing so they can get a premium for just have a black hide.

I miss my grandpa's old full blooded Fleck herd from old days. But I gotta warn you that American Simmental has gone black, just like the limousin but there are few full blooded Simmentals left in United States. Many breeds of U.S are turning into black hided animals because of Angus Association's marketing so they can get a premium for just have a black hide.

Oooh! Thank you soooo much! I understand now! I was wondering why US breeders call black cows Limousines ...
I understand you about your grandpa's herd...

I'm honestly disappointed because Limousines and Simmental are French breeds and I can't admit that US people dared change those breeds and continue to call them Limousines and Simmental...
Thanks again for lighting me...

In France, it's the opposite situation... Black animals aren't appreciated when we sell them. (except fullblood cows like black Salers etc..)
For example, if you cross Aubrac x Limousin, you will have a black calf who will be impossible to sell for a good price.

Yeah I don't agree with how these breeders turning them black. Full blooded Chianina and Maine Anjou are getting extremely rare. I wish they should just call these black ones something instead of black (insert a breed)

Yeah I don't agree with how these breeders turning them black. Full blooded Chianina and Maine Anjou are getting extremely rare. I wish they should just call these black ones something instead of black (insert a breed)

I can't agree more...
Do they cross each breed with Angus to turn them black? If they do, they lost breed qualities, it's so STUPID!!!!!!

On the flip side we don't want the towering behemoth, over eating, hard calving, big dopey calf having simmentals that were the norm here in the 1970-90s.

I like my solid black and red sims nowadays.

And simmental are swiss, How dare the french claim them as their own.. ha

Pics here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simmental_cattle

I had this sim heifer born this morning, (thats not her mother)

IMG_20160404_WA0000.jpg

And simmental are swiss, How dare the french claim them as their own.. ha

French simmental and swiss simmental are different. Learn it.

Of course simmental breed isn't perfect, but It's more intelligent to Work on it than to destroy the breed. :)

You just said above its a french breed, but they originated outside of your country. So its ok when the french take it and make it their own breed (and still call it simmental) but north america cant do the same? without 'destroying' the breed?

Simmental breed founds its origin in Alpes mountains.
The current French simmental breed stills clear and fullblood. They just have more muscle.
Don't tell me your Beautiful black cows are fullblood simmental.

Nor do I want them to be, for the reasons noted above they don't work for me. Most all mine fall in the 30/32 purebred range.

I did have this odd duck show up last yr though out of a red cow and a black bull.

20150224_144240.jpg

I do like the black sims and solid red sims, but I prefer if they called them SimAngus, not Simmental.

Nice calf but not à simmental for me.
Nevertheless I understand that your cows are adapted to your systèm.
I don't say that your cows are bad, i'm just disappointed because american breeders make all breeds Turn black sometimes without any reason.

When I was a child, I would have never thought that there would be a day when Simmentals would be black, they were all shades of red and white. On that same note it's hard for me to imagine the Angus and Hereford cattle from the 50's that I see in pictures, changing to the cattle that were in the 70's-80's. It is just a result of what traits and phenotype are desired and bred for. Cattle are continually being bred for certain qualities, and I guess color is as much a part of that as anything else.
That being said, I do think that there are a lot of traits being diminished with both potentially positive and negative outcomes. I used to have Charolais, they were all as a result of breeding up registry programs, and thus looked a lot different than their full French ancestors.

Here's a cow I saw at an auction once.. Was nearly tempted to stay around and put a bid on her.

I really like the original swiss version of the Simms.. with horns.

She's quite a tank.. but looks like she could raise quite a calf (and eat a lot too)

Nesikep":1406cn1k said:
Here's a cow I saw at an auction once.. Was nearly tempted to stay around and put a bid on her.

I really like the original swiss version of the Simms.. with horns.

She's quite a tank.. but looks like she could raise quite a calf (and eat a lot too)

That's what I think of first when I think of Simmental, then nearly instantly I remember they are now mostly black. I almost started out with some of those older Simmentals, but then didn't over hearing neighbors calving issues from them. Most folks here associate those original looking Simmentals with being good calf raisers, and needing a lot of food too as you said.

Sometimes calving is hard, but idk How you Work in US, but if you pay attention to each calving, there is no problèm.

Latest posts