simmental calving

Help Support CattleToday:

The birth weight and calving ease is dependant on the genetics animals used. Dad has encountered both when he was crossbreeding.

pat

> Do Simmental cows have an easy
> birth? How about cows crossed with
> Simmental bull; how is their
> calving?

The Simmental breed has probably changed more than any other breed in the last 10 years plus....along with changing to mostly solid colored animals (mainly black), we have also bred out many of the calving problems. We breed everything on the place Simmental (including 25 to 30 heifers each year), and our calving problems are very minimal. Nothing compared to some of the "calving ease" breeds in our area....

> The Simmental breed has probably
> changed more than any other breed
> in the last 10 years plus....along
> with changing to mostly solid
> colored animals (mainly black), we
> have also bred out many of the
> calving problems. We breed
> everything on the place Simmental
> (including 25 to 30 heifers each
> year), and our calving problems
> are very minimal. Nothing compared
> to some of the "calving
> ease" breeds in our area.... Husker1, I just bought some northern blacks from a sale about a month ago. i have already bred them back for this year, but i am ineterested in A.I.ing them next year. I was wondering if you knew of any good black simmental ranches to get some semen from. thanx BZ

[email protected]

Why not just go through one of the major studs to get your semen? The chances of higher accuracy EPDs are much greater with them then an individual herd

dun

I have used black Simmentals exclusively for the past 15 years. We use AI sires from GENEX/CRI, and have not pulled a calf for several years, heifers included. The calves grow well, are docile, and are well accepted by the buyers. I use a lot of Fortune 500, Lucky Break, Mr. MT, and am very satisfied with all of them. Drop me an E-mail, and I'll try to send you some pics. jhm47

[email protected]

Jeff, I think you make an excellent point. Would I be somewhat correct by saying, "It is not the breed, but genetics within a breed, in this case for calving easy, that significantly influences easy calving tendencies for heifers as well as cows. I have friends that breed hiefers to Waygu for calving easy, and my reply is that within that breed you could get a high birth weight bull that could contribute to problems.

> I have used black Simmentals
> exclusively for the past 15 years.
> We use AI sires from GENEX/CRI,
> and have not pulled a calf for
> several years, heifers included.
> The calves grow well, are docile,
> and are well accepted by the
> buyers. I use a lot of Fortune
> 500, Lucky Break, Mr. MT, and am
> very satisfied with all of them.
> Drop me an E-mail, and I'll try to
> send you some pics. jhm47