w_23.jpg

CE BW WW YW MCE MM MARB API TI

6.2 -0.1 35 61 2.4 5.6 0.27 117 68

BW: 80 lbs Adj. WW: 791 lbs Sire: GW Lucky Man 644N

Picture_018.jpg

CE BW WW YW MCE MM MARB API TI

9.1 -1.0 33 52 -2.2 6.5 0.24 115 67

BW: 67 lbs Adj. WW: 660 lbs Sire: WS Beef Maker

Interesting group of calves. How old are they?

Very different types amongst them.

I like the first black baldy bull for his growth, spring of rib, and his beautiful softness. He definitely has that softness over the other 3 bulls. Looks to have an excellent eye muscle on him and a good butt. Good bone. Couple of criticisms I would make about him, is the lack of masculine, bully head. The narrow stance in the hind legs - that might just be an awkward pose. And he looks like he might cut in a little behind the shoulder.

I like the second black bull for his masculinity (beautiful bully front end) and muscle. He is smoother in behind the shoulders than the baldy bull. At this point my concern with him would be hind leg structure - I'd like to see him walking, or more shots of him standing to determine whether his legs are posty or not. Is this stance normal for him, or is he simply unbalanced and awkward in this shot?

The third black bull simply isnt enough bull. I'm assuming these bull calves are the same age, and have been run under the same nutritive conditions. Taking that into account, he really lacks the growth for age and natural muscling/fleshing ability of the other three bulls. I'm also not keen on the finer bone this bull displays compared to the other three. He's got a good top, but again I'm concerned the hind legs are slightly post legged.

The red bull ... possibly the most promising bull of the lot? I'm not 100% sure. But he's got the growth and muscle, he's got a bully head on him. Acceptable structure. Nice smooth shoulder. And a very soft bull. The angle of the photo and his pose makes it awfully difficult, but for me its a toss up between this red bull and the second picture, the black bull. Honestly if the black bull is ok in the back legs, then I'd pick him over the red bull, but boy its close. If the black bulls back legs are always posty, I'd have to run with the red bull.

(ADJ WW are based on their current Weight per Day of Age (WDA))

Bull #1 is the youngest bull of the four born on March 12, 2009; out of Dikeman's Sure Bet from TJ The Gambler. He will bring $3500 easy in our Market.

Bull #2 was born on March 4, 2009 He is a Simangus; out of MYTTY In Focus This Bull will bring $3500+ easily in our Market. His Marbling Score and his REA is off the charts for S/A in 2009.

Bull #3 was Born February 22, 2009 and he is a PB out of Lucky Man 644 N. A full brother to this bull just last year brought $5600 at a Bull test station for the highest rate of gain of any Bull of any breed on Test

Bull #4 is a February 2, 2009 out of WS Beef Maker and Igenity Tested Red Non-diluter. He is the weakest of the four bulls in this group. He was about 2 seconds away from castration when a neighbor asked me to run him thru the Bull test station. His MCE is the worst of any PB Simmental on Earth Today. He will hopefully bring a minimum bid on sale day of $1500. At least he is a non-diluter.

I'm with Keren. Don't know anything about big names and didn't look at the numbers. #2 and #4 would be the pair I'd choose between.

I like #1 a lot. The ONLY downside for me on him is his YW number, and that's being pretty picky.
I'd say if you want straight Sim then use him.

The Mytty in focus calf is hard to ignore. He has it all except on thing for me. His sheath is not good.
Other than that he's a dandy.

Both bulls are posed in a way that makes them look posty whe they srtetch like that is doesn't do them any favors.

Well... I realize that I am a beginner but I thought #1 was a heifer, kinda feminine lookin' head IMHO, I really like #2 but I agree he looks too posty in the hind legs. #3 is way too light all around, and #4 is just ok, would have liked to see more depth in that one. I'd have to go with #2 out of the 4 as my top pick. Even if he WAS a tad posty.
Every day I learn something more from this forum, thanks to you all for the knowledge, and some really good laughs!! :tiphat:

That Mytty in Focus bull isn't bad, just needs some darn growth, By 18mths I would have expected more. Him and #3 have pretty untidy sheaths. #1 looks growthy but looks like a steer. And #4 I think is probably the most complete one if you will albeit a little unbalanced. JMO

aussie_cowgirl":cxz5d35n said:
That Mytty in Focus bull isn't bad, just needs some darn growth, By 18mths I would have expected more. Him and #3 have pretty untidy sheaths. #1 looks growthy but looks like a steer. And #4 I think is probably the most complete one if you will albeit a little unbalanced. JMO

What are you refering to by the 18 months statement. None of these calves are ober 6 months old?

aussie_cowgirl":1nd2knb7 said:

How much more growth than 772# adj WW do you want? I think 1,2 and 4 look like good prospects, but like 2 the best. Be nice to see them all standing a little better.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I read it as 08. I need to go back to bed I think... :nod:

In which case I think aside from the sheath the mytty in focus bull has a lot to offer. The red bull is still nice also.

gberry, we operate on a completely different system here using different values so the values mean nothing to me because they are American.

aussie_cowgirl":25bk4n55 said:

In which case I think aside from the sheath the mytty in focus bull has a lot to offer. The red bull is still nice also.

gberry, we operate on a completely different system here using different values so the values mean nothing to me because they are American.

Well, how much more growth than 350 kg adj ww?

3waycross":b4wwbk7e said:
farmwriter":b4wwbk7e said:
I thought #1 was a heifer at first glance, too.

Did you think someone photoshopped that thing on his belly :oops:

LOL, I just meant he doesn't look terribly masculine. The head and general shape just look more like a heifer calf to me. From the photo, I still can't make out a scrotum or a tail for that matter. :lol2:
It doesn't seem to be a bad looking animal, and obviously lots of ya'll like him, but that picture alone isn't enough for me to choose him for a sire over 2 and 4. More pics might make me think otherwise.

gberry":2n9l7m2a said:
aussie_cowgirl":2n9l7m2a said:

Well, how much more growth than 350 kg adj ww?

gberry, I dont understand what you are trying to get at. I've already explained to you that here in Australia we use a different performance recording system, so looking at US numbers is like reading a different language. It doesnt mean anything to me. So, I cannot comment on the "350kg adj ww" until you explain it to me. If I were to say "yes, 350 isnt bad" to you, I would be lying and frankly, it wouldnt mean a dam thing.

And besides, my 'lack of growth' comment was in no way any reference to the animal's weaning weight. I made a mistake thinking the animal was 18 mths old, and made the growth comment purely on the phenotype along with (mistakenly) thinking he was 18 mths old. I was corrected, and I freely admitted that he was a good growthy bull

Just a misunderstanding on both sides. My point was that 350 kg is a pretty good 205 day weight. I would agree that if you thought he was 18 months old, he could use some more growth.

Out of curiosity, what weights do you take in Australia. All the Murray Greys have ww epds, so I assume you take some type of weaning weight.

Latest posts