simmental/brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone has any info or has had any luck themselves with crossing simmental and brahmans. So far I have been unable to find any info on it and i was wondering if anyone has tried or considered crossing the two breeds. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Claire

[email protected]

Some people have tried it and developed the Simbrah from it. You can go to the American Simmental Association to learn more about it or look up the breed on this site.

[email protected]

it's an excellent cross, if the croosbreeding of both breeds continues you could get Simbrah (5/8 Simmental-3/8 Brahman). To get some information you could contact <A HREF="http://simmgene.com" TARGET="_blank">http://simmgene.com</A> the web site of the American Simmental Association which registers the Simbrah too.

> I was wondering if anyone has any
> info or has had any luck
> themselves with crossing simmental
> and brahmans. So far I have been
> unable to find any info on it and
> i was wondering if anyone has
> tried or considered crossing the
> two breeds. Any info at all would
> be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> Claire

[email protected]

we use that cross (simmXnelore) to fill up the gaps in our fattening pens in Indonesia. they're OK, but growth and muscle conformation is not as good as with LimousinXbrahman.

[email protected]

In my Simbrah I crossbreed a 1/2 Nelore,1/4 Brahman- 1/4 Simmental bulls with Fullblood or Purebred Simmental cows to obtain Simbrah, with the Nelore I will give growth and with the Brahman muscle for the 3/8 Zebu influence in Simbrah, the same I have with my Brahmousin but using Limousin instead of Simmental. I also have some 1/4 Nelore-3/4 Simmental bulls that I crosbreed with 1/2 bloods Brahman-Simmental and get Simbrah.

Conclusion Nelore influence will give growth, and also will give less ear and will be good for the American market

> we use that cross (simmXnelore) to
> fill up the gaps in our fattening
> pens in Indonesia. they're OK, but
> growth and muscle conformation is
> not as good as with
> LimousinXbrahman.

[email protected]

> In my Simbrah I crossbreed a 1/2
> Nelore,1/4 Brahman- 1/4 Simmental
> bulls with Fullblood or Purebred
> Simmental cows to obtain Simbrah,
> with the Nelore I will give growth
> and with the Brahman muscle for
> the 3/8 Zebu influence in Simbrah,
> the same I have with my Brahmousin
> but using Limousin instead of
> Simmental. I also have some 1/4
> Nelore-3/4 Simmental bulls that I
> crosbreed with 1/2 bloods
> Brahman-Simmental and get Simbrah.

> Conclusion Nelore influence will
> give growth, and also will give
> less ear and will be good for the
> American market

Please explain what a Nelore is. I don't believe I've heard the term before.

Nelore is a breed that is part of the Zebu family, Bos Indicus, one of the difference in appearance of the others members of the Zebu family is the type of ears. If you need more information check this website; <A HREF="http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle</A>

> Please explain what a Nelore is. I
> don't believe I've heard the term
> before.

[email protected]

>With the cross do you still find that the product of the breeding - the simbrah - still has bos indicus characteristics such as a flighty tmperament and sensitivity to noise/people etc?. Or does the cross of the simmental allow some of that do be bred out?

[email protected]

i don't experience any real problems with the cross. but it's a case of habit. if they are used to seeing people and tractors, they won't get scared of them after a while. we feed all our cattle by feeder wagon behind the tractor, and they don't see it as something to be scared of, not even the fullblood Nelores.

i have to say though, that simenthals are not my favorit, my father only buys the cross from local farmers to fill in the openings in the feedlots. we personally like limousin crosses or BB crosses better.

[email protected]

Claire,

Glad your interrested in the Simbrah breed. Most of the Simbrah cattle in the U.S. are located in TX. I am a Simbrah breeder and would be happy to answer any questions for you or put you into contact with other breeders in your state. Please e-mail for additional information or brochures about Simbrah. If you live in the south east of the U.S. from TX to Florida there is a group called the Southeast Simbrah Allaince. We have a yearly sale and try to promote the Simbrah breed in the southern states. So whatever I can do for you, please do not hesitate and replying back.

Matt Schiel Bar M Ranch

> I was wondering if anyone has any
> info or has had any luck
> themselves with crossing simmental
> and brahmans. So far I have been
> unable to find any info on it and
> i was wondering if anyone has
> tried or considered crossing the
> two breeds. Any info at all would
> be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> Claire

[email protected]