Simm Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Bird

Reaction score
For you simmental guys, what bulls would you pick to make super cow's?

My favorite bull right now is Hudson Pine Farms Optimizer handled by Select Sires. I have two calves and sold a bull to a guy in Tennessee who loves him. Fire Sweep Simmentals has put several on the ground out near Springfield, MO and I have seen those. Plus, some at shows. Solid, great growth, good disposition. In fact, disposition is GREAT.

Have a couple Upgrades I like.

Depends on what direction you are going, show/production. Shear Force, Dream On, Power Drive, and the Lucky lines have made some really good cows.

Franke":2ktnqm7w said:
Depends on what direction you are going, show/production. Shear Force, Dream On, Power Drive, and the Lucky lines have made some really good cows.

I have a year old heifer sired by Shear Force that looks great. Lots of Dream On in my herd.

Another bull known as a cow maker is Built Right.

Bright Raven":1ne7s1kc said:
Franke":1ne7s1kc said:

I have a year old heifer sired by Shear Force that looks great. Lots of Dream On in my herd.

Built Right is another one but still a Dream On son. To me what made those bulls so popular and good was that they worked on so many different types and kinds of cows and made them better.

Franke":3i44ll8d said:
Bright Raven":3i44ll8d said:
Franke":3i44ll8d said:

Built Right is another one but still a Dream On son. To me what made those bulls so popular and good was that they worked on so many different types and kinds of cows and made them better.

My group of registered Simmentals probably has more Built Right in their genome than any other pedigree. Good feet and udders.

The Power Stroke lines made a lot of good females. Power Drive, Goldmine, and Ebony's Trademark being 3 popular sons. Dream On just made good Simmental cattle all the way around. Shear Force is very popular all around too. Agree with the Lucky lines as well. Yes, Built Right is known for his daughters. I thought Invasion made some nice cows. I also liked MR MT well.
Started with the Black Simmentals here with a TN State Fair Grand Champion Power Stroke son whom made terrific daughters. The first two females we purchased were MR MT and Lucky Dice daughters. Saved some females from them and we have later added Dream On's, Invasion, Built Right, Movin Forward pedigree's.

Have any of you used Beef King or his son CDI Rimrock...Their EPD's are great with high accuracy with MCE, STAY(Rimrock) and API being real high.

insurman":111yzh3e said:
Have any of you used Beef King or his son CDI Rimrock...Their EPD's are great with high accuracy with MCE, STAY(Rimrock) and API being real high.

Beef King is sired by Beef Maker, one of my favorite bulls. I have a few Beef Maker females in my herd, and they are awesome. I gave Bright Raven some Beef Maker semen to use.... I thought he would work well on his heifers.

I love Shear Force, and Built Right females also. They can do a fantastic job producing a nice calf every year. And of course, I have not had any problems with Upgrade, who will help your growth EPD's

But my favorite right now is HPF Optimizer, by far...

I`m sure some will disagree but Grandmaster has made some pretty good cows. They may not have the growth epd`s but I still wish I would have had more heifers out of him I would`ve probably kept every one of them they just do their job and have a great disposition. He works well with the Dream On lines I `ve got a Grandmaster X Built Right cow, a Grandmaster X Shorthorn halfblood cow and a Pays to Believe X Grandmaster 3/4 heifer that's really nice. We don`t use him anymore just because there`s too many newer bulls I like. I should have my first Optimizer coming this fall I hope it turns out as good as some I`ve seen on here. If you`re wanting some real eye appeal use Bandwagon.

jd720":182sr7xy said:
I`m sure some will disagree but Grandmaster has made some pretty good cows.
If you`re wanting some real eye appeal use Bandwagon.
I will but with the context of a very small sample at our place. One grandmaster heifer that was almost a fence jumper when you got near and didn't milk. I was happy to see her come up really late bred and we sold her. We have two Bandwagons yearlings and style isn't there forte. Love the mass and volume and power and movement of the heifer but shorter fronted. The bull we kept for a spare and to sell as a two year old hopefully looking better as a two year old than a yearling. But all of this is on an extremely small sample. :2cents:

jd720":152xhmz8 said:
I`m sure some will disagree but Grandmaster has made some pretty good cows. They may not have the growth epd`s but I still wish I would have had more heifers out of him I would`ve probably kept every one of them they just do their job and have a great disposition. He works well with the Dream On lines I `ve got a Grandmaster X Built Right cow, a Grandmaster X Shorthorn halfblood cow and a Pays to Believe X Grandmaster 3/4 heifer that's really nice. We don`t use him anymore just because there`s too many newer bulls I like. I should have my first Optimizer coming this fall I hope it turns out as good as some I`ve seen on here. If you`re wanting some real eye appeal use Bandwagon.

I love the way the Grandmaster's look. We have had numerous ones. We only have one in the herd, and she sure is pretty. Won a bunch at fairs as a yearling. Any time we have visitors, they ask about her first. HOWEVER, she is a VERY small cow (runs about 1100 lbs), out of one of our BIGGEST cows (she runs around 1600), and she has just barely enough milk to raise a calf! She is out of our best cow line (A Built Right grand-dam, Shear Force dam), and every other calf from that line weans off the heaviest calves each year! Why do we keep her? She has a great disposition, is easy to work with, and we use her as a recip. I can supplement the calf to help the grow factor with grain, and every calf she weans off has her docile nature. I like this cow so much, we tried AIing her to Upgrade (who I know has a lot of grow in his calves). Her bull calf this year (Upgrade sired) was born the 1st of January, and MIGHT weigh 500 pounds by now! That is TINY for us! He is getting cut and being used as our carcass contest steer next year....So, again she proved that she can not raise a decent sized calf of her own genetics for our program.
I will not use Grandmaster again, there are better and newer bulls out there.

I kinda like the Santa Fe bull. Anyone have any experience with him?

I only have a few Grandmaster daughters, and I have not experienced any problems with them. As a matter of fact, one daughter is one of my best and I sold an 8 month old heifer calf for really good money - to the judge that used her to Supreme Champion at NYSF a few years ago. He, shortly after that, consigned her to a sale & got over $12,000 for her. So, there are some really good ones out there. I still use him on "iffy" heats. Only because he was relatively cheap, and most of my semen I'm using - is NOT.

I`ve only had one Santa Fe and it was a nice looking calf out of a first calf heifer. I noticed there is a couple of Santa Fe heifers in the Field of Dreams sale catalog that look pretty nice.

A proven cow maker that may or be as mainstream as some of these young unproven bulls that are being mentioned is hooks xpectation 36x. He is a 3/4 blood and red but can moderate, fix udders and teats, sire them sure docile, make them yellow enough to work in the southeast; and has pedigree packed with two stellar cows upfront.
http://alliedgeneticresources.com/semen ... bullid=118
Link to him above.

Another would be GW Lucky Charm 665k. He's an older bull and again 3/4 blood but he can make good docile females that always seem to be the dams of the highest performing calves but yet manage to stay in the herd; his females may not win any beauty pageant but they'll work for you and not the other way round.
http://bullbarn.com/simmepd.asp?ID=436

Latest posts