Simi Throwing alot of White ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a black sim angus bull with a little white on the sheath. His first crop of calves are showing a lot of white -- in some cases more than their mothers. Should the sheath have been a tip off, or is chrome a risk any time to get into the simi world?

That chrome may go back a long ways and crop up at the darndest times. We have a black (Granny daughter) half Fleckvieh cow that has always thrown a broad white face and her daughters have too. That's being bred to a Red Angus bull. This year she had a solid black calf, even though she's black all of her calves before have been red. The black calf this year has a quarter sized white spot where her udder will be when she's grown only white spot on her. This is her 7 the calf and it's sired by the same Red Angus bull as her baldy calf was last year.

What is his pedigree? Lucky Dice was a well known spotter. Some simmental lines are spotters, meaning they can go back to the old school simmi where white is on the body. Nothing on his body would have given it away that he might be a spotter, the only way to know for sure is if he was tested. What are the females that are throwing the white?
Do they have white on the body, or just the face?

Have a British White x. She has had 4 consecutive black calves - - this year a British White.
Have a Pin star x. She has had 3 consecutive black calves - - this year a skunk.
Have some solid blacks (with stein?) in the woodpile - - this year got some chromed up calves that have the SH like white steaks.
Have a chromed up reg Simi heifer with white stockings - - she threw a blaze face...

Have a British White x. She has had 4 consecutive black calves - - this year a British White.
Have a Pin star x. She has had 3 consecutive black calves - - this year a skunk.
Have some solid blacks (with stein?) in the woodpile - - this year got some chromed up calves that have the SH like white steaks.
Have a chromed up blaze face reg Simi heifer with white stockings - - she threw a blaze face...

This bull is also throwing males - - got 17 bulls out of first 20 calves.

It really does depend on the pedigree. Been several blaze face bulls that would pretty much just throw solid colored calves. Been solid black bulls siring blaze calves. If Built Right is in the Pedigree some white is going to show up. Again my Packin Heat bull had only a blaze face, black everywhere else and he delivered the white well from time to time. Use to have a hard time telling black calves apart from each other the last two seasons and it's been the blaze face calves. The last couple have been solid though thank goodness, :lol: .

My homeraised bull is from a cow that has never thrown any white except on him... If bred to a cow with evident white, it seems as though it really pops up, though even bred to all red cows you can get it as well

Bull

Calf from a cow that had same pattern, but a white roan mother

Cow has a brockle mother

Cow on right is full sister to the bull, and the calf on right is hers, Middle cow's mother was Mega, all red, as she is and her calf is the left calf

Nesikep":2qeaiq1b said:
My homeraised bull is from a cow that has never thrown any white except on him... If bred to a cow with evident white, it seems as though it really pops up, though even bred to all red cows you can get it as well

Bull

Cow has a brockle mother

Cow on right is full sister to the bull, and the calf on right is hers, Middle cow's mother was Mega, all red, as she is and her calf is the left calf

This is a prime example of why you need to use a purebred bull on a crossbred cow herd.

True Grit Farms":viw214wo said:
Nesikep":viw214wo said:

Bull

Cow has a brockle mother

This is a prime example of why you need to use a purebred bull on a crossbred cow herd.
Yes, though consistency on other traits (like muscling) is far better than the limo bull from what I see so far.. my best built heifers are all from my own bull, and the Limos all are cat hammed in comparison this year (Last year he had some good ones, and he does have some good steers this year)

True Grit Farms":34hzq1cg said:
Definitely nice calves. The one with the tag should be really thick. What's cat hammed? Because hatchet azz doesn't sound like a Limo trait.
That's CG8's version of hatched arsed :)

Yes, I think that red tagged heifer is looking really good, she's just over 3 weeks now and is growing nicely (See the "Meet Hera" thread)

Hera is from this bull as well, and is by FAR the meatiest heifer I've ever had (well, her mother was close).. She has a speck of a white sock...
I have 2 steer calves this year, I call them "Big blond" and "Little blond".. they're spitting images of each other, but one sired by each bull, both really meaty, Big blond has the better mother and it shows.. Limo's heifers just ain't cutting it this year though except for one, though I'm not terribly enthused about keeping another calf from that cow (she's the last of her maternal line, and is NOTORIOUS for spots)...

Perhaps other people wouldn't say hatchet arsed, but it's all relative.. after you've seen something better right? I might have been thrilled with them 10 years ago..

True Grit Farms":1wr26a1q said:
Definitely nice calves. The one with the tag should be really thick. What's cat hammed? Because hatchet azz doesn't sound like a Limo trait.
Look at a cats hind quarters and you will see what it means. That has been the term used for at least 60 years.

dun":35v3m35p said:
True Grit Farms":35v3m35p said:
Look at a cats hind quarters and you will see what it means. That has been the term used for at least 60 years.

My favorite is still noazzatall.

Stocker Steve":3h3eafug said:
Have a chromed up blaze face reg Simi heifer with white stockings - - she threw a blaze face...

This bull is also throwing males - - got 17 bulls out of first 20 calves.
I wouldn't blame on SimAngus bull for the British white calf and the skunktail calf.... blame on their mothers for their markings. But it's a risky way to use a spotting carrier bull on commercial black cows especially if they're Angus x Holstein crosses.

The chrome is tricky. Body spotting is an easy recessive gene. But, body spotting is a separate gene from the legs, bellie, tail, & face. I love the genetics involved in breeding, but I have yet to figure out a rational pattern. I do know that if you breed a white face to a white face, you tend to get more chrome all over. So, I'm "assuming" they are recessive and I also think some of them are "linked" to each other.

Latest posts