Simi Throwing alot of White ?

Help Support CattleToday:

As we have processed some pedigrees we have discovered some animals that go back to Holstein in their ancestry. We were able to find it, but many of the pedigrees it was camouflaged with an XB breed code for Crossbred Beef.

Along with Holstein, we have also seen Santa Gertrudis, Guernsey, Jersey and some other breeds. It all becomes very interesting!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":skb398te said:
The chrome is tricky. Body spotting is an easy recessive gene. But, body spotting is a separate gene from the legs, bellie, tail, & face. I love the genetics involved in breeding, but I have yet to figure out a rational pattern. I do know that if you breed a white face to a white face, you tend to get more chrome all over. So, I'm "assuming" they are recessive and I also think some of them are "linked" to each other.
There's probably also incomplete dominance involved in it... so if they are heterozygous for it, it shows up as small spots, and homozygous would show up as big blotches.. Not saying that's exactly what's going on, but something like it.

The two chrome calves in my previous picture both have solid red mothers and grandmothers... The bull's dam's sire must be where it came from (shorthorn).. though the dam is solid red, and every calf she has ever thrown EXCEPT for this bull has been solid red as well... Now you'd think that the bull would be "weak" in spotting, and bred to solid cows you'd get less of it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.. I'm thinking it does involve several genes, but don't have the ability to research it much deeper

Cat hammed...lol....oh lord
Hey, people forget that sims use to look like red Holsteins. Spots are gonna happen. We are still getting them even though we haven't had a reg old school sim since the 80s.. But this year, we got 0 , but then we added some Hereford and brought it back.
Any cow you have that might have had some white in her past genetics, is going to produce some chrome with your altered sim bull........altered meaning he's black which is not a sim to me.
What has always confused me is this....Guys say that auction buyers are so smart and are so good at seeing things on animals in a sale pen, even so good they can tell if a calf was cut with a knife or banded...Then tell me this, why when a calf has chrome cant they tell if its longhorn or sim? To me its very obvious. I would think that if you have a black steer with a few sim markings, that's a plus. I understand not wanting longhorn, but a sim/angus calf is way different than a longhorn cross..Why cant the buyers tell the difference and dock all stock with chrome???????

cowgirl8":3ncican6 said:
..Why cant the buyers tell the difference and dock all stock with chrome???????
because they can and its away for then to get your stock cheaper same goes for a little ear, some places they dock for that, they do what you let them get by with.

BRYANT":1l6pch2j said:
cowgirl8":1l6pch2j said:
because they can and its away for then to get your stock cheaper same goes for a little ear, some places they dock for that, they do what you let them get by with.
I don't buy that...because if you're sitting next to a guy who is pressured to buy the best growing and you're pressured to buy the best growing....that almost black sim mix calf coming through should bring a high price because in the end, he's going to grow really good. So, I would think that if a calf shows sim markings, they would bring a high price. Typically, I don't see much of a difference with our calves, yet people say there is.....and explain this, if black brings more at the sale barn, why the hell do people raise red angus...lol....

cowgirl8":2ijz8g81 said:
Typically, I don't see much of a difference with our calves, yet people say there is.....and explain this, if black brings more at the sale barn, why the be nice do people raise red angus...lol....
Once again, it's difference in areas. Most times quality will out in the end. And yet feather necked Herefrords get hammered here, but baldies do fine. A neighbor raises Gerts. If he sells around here he gets hammered, so he found that even with having to haul them to someplace in Oklahoma he nets more even with the extra fuel costs and time.

They just dock the chromed up ones because they can, even the high quality ones. The buyers ain't stupid, they can tell the difference between the LH chrome, sim chrome and shorthorn chrome. Here, the chromed up calves didn't topping the sales. The blacks, reds and baldies do.

cowgirl8":11ih487t said:
BRYANT":11ih487t said:
cowgirl8":11ih487t said:
I don't buy that...because if you're sitting next to a guy who is pressured to buy the best growing and you're pressured to buy the best growing....that almost black sim mix calf coming through should bring a high price because in the end, he's going to grow really good. So, I would think that if a calf shows sim markings, they would bring a high price. Typically, I don't see much of a difference with our calves, yet people say there is.....and explain this, if black brings more at the sale barn, why the be nice do people raise red angus...lol....

What ever, didn't figure you would agree.

The way to stop it is stop using that sale and go to one with buyers that don't care. Like a little ear I would not take my calves out west or north but go south and east. Market your cattle at the right places.

BRYANT":2oa1jd4w said:
cowgirl8":2oa1jd4w said:
BRYANT":2oa1jd4w said:
I don't buy that...because if you're sitting next to a guy who is pressured to buy the best growing and you're pressured to buy the best growing....that almost black sim mix calf coming through should bring a high price because in the end, he's going to grow really good. So, I would think that if a calf shows sim markings, they would bring a high price. Typically, I don't see much of a difference with our calves, yet people say there is.....and explain this, if black brings more at the sale barn, why the be nice do people raise red angus...lol....

What ever, didn't figure you would agree.

The way to stop it is stop using that sale and go to one with buyers that don't care. Like a little ear I would not take my calves out west or north but go south and east. Market your cattle at the right places.
What do you expect from Linda? She won't listen to anyone anyways.

You were right on different sale barns has different preferences. One sale barn may dock you for smokies and tans but a nearby sale barn, the smokies & tans sell good. Limousin influenced ones sell good up north while blue roans are acceptable in the south of me. All I know for sure is that spots and brindles won't topping the sales here. Oddballs are seldomly sold with the others even if they have same genetics.

Since the origins of the simmental breed was red and white I don't think anyone should be surprised if red or white crops up, unless DNA tested to be homo black.

These photos are what the origins of the simmental breed looked like.

Gizmom

I still LOVE the patterns, but not a saleable item anymore. Too bad. Blacks, patterned look awesome. I like the size/shape of the American made Simmentals. I have plenty of milk without all the hassle we used to have with TOO much milk. Also, the leg structure is a lot better than the first PB's being produced here. But, obviously I am EXTREMELY prejudice LOL

Latest posts