Simi Cow Maker Bulls ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Flat out the best steer we fed out last year was a Lucky Dice, but also had a couple of Lucky Dice steers that were evil.
I don't have much sim-cow experience but....

Uno Mas is another good Dream On son, (Dream On x GoldMine) as is In Dew Time (Dream On x Lucky Dice)
Select Sires promotes Uno Mas as "The Cowmaker" along with Mr Olie an Ellingson Legacy son.
At Accelerated Bettis by Hooks Shear Force looks pretty good to me,
also Manifest (Nichols Legacy x Lucky Dice)
Entourage is another Dream On son and Dew It Right an In Dew Time son.

I would not use In Dew Time. Bad bags and are to moderate for me.

I would use Lucky Dice, any of the Gateway bulls really. If you want a cow maker he is a bull that is almost or already is dead. For me a cow maker has some 5 year old+ daughters out there.

Shear Force, Legacy are the ones I'd use. They are the daddy's to most of the top ones out. Why not go back and use the ones that started it.

Lucky Dice daughters are very average I would say. We used a pile of him on some clubby cows years ago and he downsized them genetics at that time.

My best cows go back to Shear Force, via Pacesetter. We also love our Hummer females, and the Upgrade females are doing a bang up job. They are still young, one has had three calves and the others two calves, but I would take an entire herd of them. Another fantastic, great uddered old cow I have is a Hummer X Lucky Dice. Her udder looks like a two year old, but she has raised 7 calves now.

Fire Sweep Ranch":j7x5e2en said:
My best cows go back to Shear Force, via Pacesetter. We also love our Hummer females, and the Upgrade females are doing a bang up job. They are still young, one has had three calves and the others two calves, but I would take an entire herd of them. Another fantastic, great uddered old cow I have is a Hummer X Lucky Dice. Her udder looks like a two year old, but she has raised 7 calves now.

So you like upgrade daughters the best? How big are they?

Stocker Steve":seyioh7k said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":seyioh7k said:

So you like upgrade daughters the best? How big are they?

Well, my computer is in the shop, which holds my actual records, but one is on the small side (3/4 blood), probably 5.0 frame and 1200 pounds, the other is bigger, half blood and likely a 5.5 frame and a 1400 pound girl. The heifers we are breeding this fall are 1000 pounds, and 13 months old, but they have been pushed hard on fed because they are in the show string. I think it really depends on the cow you use him on.

I have heard several good reports on Grandmaster females. Anyone have an opinion on them. Although I have been told they can be pretty moderate.

Dale L":3cpi6nnt said:
I have heard several good reports on Grandmaster females. Anyone have an opinion on them. Although I have been told they can be pretty moderate.

We have one in production. One of the top looking cows in the group. She has raised two calves, has a picture perfect udder. Her first calf is nice, but was a bit smaller framed. Her second calf lacked growth, and was cut (we are raising him as a steer). We put an embryo in her for the third calf, to see if she just had a small calf or if she is not producing enough milk. I do not think it was her, I think it was the calf. With that said, we have other Grandmaster heifers, bred, and will calve in the spring. They are very pretty, and fertile. All stuck to AI.
I would use him again. Just know they can stall out on growth going into the yearling phase, but come back out of it after...

I'm almost always breeding for a productive female, hoping their steer counterparts aren't throwaways.
Like FSR, I like the Shear Force influence... have used several sons/grandsons.
Bettis, Singletary, WS All In(red), currently using After Shock.
Would like to use Lucky Dice, if only for his phenomenal Shear epd... but probably will not get around to it.
Dikeman's Sure Bet still looks like a good balanced no-holes type of bull with good maternal merit... have one daughter here that makes me want to buy another cane of him;a couple more fell out after their freshman outing, but were out of lesser cows, and just didn't have the performance I wanted.
Lots of good bulls out of the Gateway program... I just don't have enough cows to use every one I'd like to...

Bettis...just didn't work here. Granted, he was used only on heifers, and it's rare that a first-calf heifer's calf makes the cut to stay, but we were really disappointed in the lack of growth we experienced in the Bettis calves.
Singletary (flush-mate to Bettis)...steers were top-notch, the heifers we got were really nice, and are making good cows with great dispositions. Had no calving issues with him, but my understanding is that he left the Genex lineup for that reason...and they claimed he died... but he didn't, and is still breeding cows in ND unless he's died in the past year. Would use him again in a heartbeat if I could get semen.
All In... have a couple on the ground that look OK... several coming in the spring out of ANxSH heifers... we'll see what they do.
After Shock... think I have one coming in spring, will be breeding a number of fall cows to him shortly.

Have seen Dave Nichols state that Manifest is the best bull they have ever produced.

Anyone used any true justice yet? I may give him a chance next spring. Likely not any calves on the ground yet, but has anyone used him?

Hopefully I can let you know on the True Justice in about 4 months. We should 3 TJ in the oven right now. 2 are bred to Shear Force daughters and 1 is a Bettis grand daughter. We also have a Surebet cow out of Goldmine that is a pretty nice cow as well. Solid performer.

Some of my best red simmental cows go back to either Autobahn or BOZ Redcoat. Have yet to find a more "modern" red bull that has impressed me across the board. Beefmaker made them too moderate (smaller than most of my Red Angus) and most I have tried have taken away the good feet and bone structure. There are a lot of red bulls that I really would like to love based on their numbers but the resulting offspring have not been an improvement on their dams. Not that I won't keep sampling a few. Next year I am thinking of trying a few calving ease Fleckvieh bulls just as a comparison.

Redcows when I first started AI'ing my Select Sires tech said here's this Autobahn bull he is cheap and no one wants it. I used him for years and still have semen. Always made great feeder calves to sell and I never got a horn out of him. Have heard from some breeders he was homo polled but could never find that out for sure. I plan on using him on some Angus cows in the near future.

Redcow - Semex has a really good selection of Fleck bulls. We sampled Double Bar D Maddox. We got a nice thick bull out of it. Sold him as a yearly. We also have a heifer and we are waiting on her first calf. I would really like to try Champs Bravo from them as well. I'd like to try him some of our reds and blacks. Glacier Ridge(CT member) uses some of the older Sim bulls like Autobahn and I think Pollfleck and is liking some of the results.

I've judged quite a few Grandmaster heifers in show rings and really like them. They're sound, big bodied cattle that seem to be fairly moderate but don't seem too small (I'm a Charolais breeder so I don't mind bigger cattle). I can't speak to their productivity as pasture cows, but have had very few real criticisms of the heifers that I've seen.

Latest posts