Simbrangus

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

does anyone has any experience or comment in a Simbrah-Red Brangus cross, I'm really interested in the crossbred, and will like to here some suggestions. Simbrangus= 3/8 Brahman-5/16 Simmental-5/16 Angus (black or red)

[email protected]

Their are a few Simbrah breeders who are crossing Red and Black Angus to purebred Simbrah for commercial breeders. I have not heard of using Red Brangus. If you need any help in locating Simbrah females breed to angus bulls please e-mail me back

Matt

> does anyone has any experience or
> comment in a Simbrah-Red Brangus
> cross, I'm really interested in
> the crossbred, and will like to
> here some suggestions. Simbrangus=
> 3/8 Brahman-5/16 Simmental-5/16
> Angus (black or red)

We have used PB Simbrah bulls on some red brangus heifers and the resulting calves are very good. Mostly solid red, polled, some with white blazes and looked like Simbrah. Last year we decided to keep some of the bulls and put them in a bull test with our PB Simbrah bulls and the Simbrah's indexed above the SI x RB bulls...mainly due to better growth and REA as well as SC. Our SI x RB steers so well in the feedlot but the PB Simbrahs have slightly heavier carcass weights and as good a grade and yield. We still keep the heifers as replacements and have a number in our herd that we use as recips for our embryo program. What are you looking for to improve on the Simbrah cows?

[email protected]

I'm a Simmental & Simbrah breeder and at least I know many people in the US are crossing their Simmentals with Angus or Red Angus and I have been told that these crossbreed is having a lot of acceptance, so I was wondering if the Simbrah-Red Brangus cross will give the same results in addition of having the Brahman benefits.

> Their are a few Simbrah breeders
> who are crossing Red and Black
> Angus to purebred Simbrah for
> commercial breeders. I have not
> heard of using Red Brangus. If you
> need any help in locating Simbrah
> females breed to angus bulls
> please e-mail me back

> Matt

[email protected]

I was thinking in better steers and meat quality but you just answer my doubt, I will keep my PB Simbrah herd as it is, even though I inseminated some with Tarentaise two months ago

> We have used PB Simbrah bulls on
> some red brangus heifers and the
> resulting calves are very good.
> Mostly solid red, polled, some
> with white blazes and looked like
> Simbrah. Last year we decided to
> keep some of the bulls and put
> them in a bull test with our PB
> Simbrah bulls and the Simbrah's
> indexed above the SI x RB
> bulls...mainly due to better
> growth and REA as well as SC. Our
> SI x RB steers so well in the
> feedlot but the PB Simbrahs have
> slightly heavier carcass weights
> and as good a grade and yield. We
> still keep the heifers as
> replacements and have a number in
> our herd that we use as recips for
> our embryo program. What are you
> looking for to improve on the
> Simbrah cows?

[email protected]

In the US, except in very limited areas you will get killed at sale time with that much Brahman influence.

dun

> I'm a Simmental & Simbrah
> breeder and at least I know many
> people in the US are crossing
> their Simmentals with Angus or Red
> Angus and I have been told that
> these crossbreed is having a lot
> of acceptance, so I was wondering
> if the Simbrah-Red Brangus cross
> will give the same results in
> addition of having the Brahman
> benefits.

with a 3/8 Brahman- 5/16 Simmental- 5/16 Angus replacement heifer that it's cross to a meat continental breed, let say a Limousin, in theory you will have an excellent steer with superior quality grade and yield grade carcass traits, and the crossbreed will just have 3/16 Brahman. "SOUNDS CONVINCING"

> In the US, except in very limited
> areas you will get killed at sale
> time with that much Brahman
> influence.

> dun

[email protected]

I'm not convinced you'd get "superior quality grade" from that cross... But good luck, anyway.

East of the Mississippi River, and north of the gulf coast 300 miles of so, Bra X are just not wanted.Angus or angus crosses are the rule..Some would say blacks,And there was a time when if it was black and polled it was angus.Not now days you name the breed,they have black types.. Hell ther are even Black Herefords..alf

[email protected]

I was under the impression that most of what are called simbrah are half and half. You will have diluted the angus to the point that I think your a little marginal on the "quality grade". Although Walmart considers select as a high quality grade most people don't. I hate the term, but it a;most sounds like mongrel more then composite.

dun

> with a 3/8 Brahman- 5/16
> Simmental- 5/16 Angus replacement
> heifer that it's cross to a meat
> continental breed, let say a
> Limousin, in theory you will have
> an excellent steer with superior
> quality grade and yield grade
> carcass traits, and the crossbreed
> will just have 3/16 Brahman.
> "SOUNDS CONVINCING"

> I'm a Simmental & Simbrah
> breeder and at least I know many
> people in the US are crossing
> their Simmentals with Angus or Red
> Angus and I have been told that
> these crossbreed is having a lot
> of acceptance, so I was wondering
> if the Simbrah-Red Brangus cross
> will give the same results in
> addition of having the Brahman
> benefits.

I may have missed some of your and subsequent poster's points --- but of course the pure Simmental-Angus cross that you refer to above has no Brahman influence at all, and your proposed Simbrah-Red Brangus cross maintains a 3/8 Brahman influence since both parents are 3/8 Brahman animals. Probably too much ear and hump to sell for top dollar in the feeder market. But if you are talking about crossing heifers that are the offspring of Simbrah-Red Brangus to a pure British or Continental bull you will of course wind up with a calf with only 3/16 Brahman influence, probably with "small" ears and no negligible hump and probably won't get docked much if any.

You are in deep S. Texas and Northern Mexico as I recall. From what I can tell through my own observations and discussions with others I think in SE Texas black still sells about the best, along with those stocky calves that appear to be obvious Charolais crosses.

And in fact many of those Charolais sired calves that sell in SE Texas have 1/4 Brahman influence since they have a tiger stripe momma (1/2 Hereford and 1/2 Brahman). The ear and hump is essentially gone on those 1/4 Brahman calves. I know you like the red in your herd, but for your terminal cross calves perhaps you should strongly consider Charolais bulls as well as black angus.

Simbrah is 3/8 Brahman - 5/8 Simmental in the Americas and almost everywhere in the world all the purebred breeds with Brahman influnce are 3/8 Brahman including Santa Gertrudis. Think that in Australia they use alot of half bloods Brahman breeds, as the Australian Braford.

> I was under the impression that
> most of what are called simbrah
> are half and half. You will have
> diluted the angus to the point
> that I think your a little
> marginal on the "quality
> grade". Although Walmart
> considers select as a high quality
> grade most people don't. I hate
> the term, but it a;most sounds
> like mongrel more then composite.
> dun

[email protected]

That's becuse in the US are having Black purebred in every breed in that's the Angus influence to give backfat but where is the yield grade, remember that we should look for a steer that balances both superior marbling and carcass yield grades
> East of the Mississippi River, and
> north of the gulf coast 300 miles
> of so, Bra X are just not
> wanted.Angus or angus crosses are
> the rule..Some would say
> blacks,And there was a time when
> if it was black and polled it was
> angus.Not now days you name the
> breed,they have black types.. Hell
> ther are even Black Herefords..alf

[email protected]

neither, if you go to the first message posted I was asking who had any experience with the Simbrah- Red Brangus cross.

But in theory the cross should work becuase is typically to crossbreed the Continental and British cattle to achieve a balance in quality and yield grade carcass traits.

As reference I have use Romagnolas bulls in a three-way crossbreeding program and the steers at wean weight are heavier than almost any other cross that I have seen and even they are in the top three at the weight gain in the feedlot, not talking of meat quality just weight quantity.

> I'm not convinced you'd get
> "superior quality grade"
> from that cross... But good luck,
> anyway.

[email protected]

Have you tried South Devon as a teminal cross?

dun

> neither, if you go to the first
> message posted I was asking who
> had any experience with the
> Simbrah- Red Brangus cross.

> But in theory the cross should
> work becuase is typically to
> crossbreed the Continental and
> British cattle to achieve a
> balance in quality and yield grade
> carcass traits.

> As reference I have use Romagnolas
> bulls in a three-way crossbreeding
> program and the steers at wean
> weight are heavier than almost any
> other cross that I have seen and
> even they are in the top three at
> the weight gain in the feedlot,
> not talking of meat quality just
> weight quantity.

I was just asking who had experience crossbreeding Simbrah vs Brangus or Red Brangus and that cross will give you Simbrangus and just Beth Mercer gave me an answer and comments of the experience of the crossbreed

> I was under the impression that
> most of what are called simbrah
> are half and half. You will have
> diluted the angus to the point
> that I think your a little
> marginal on the "quality
> grade". Although Walmart
> considers select as a high quality
> grade most people don't. I hate
> the term, but it a;most sounds
> like mongrel more then composite.

> dun

[email protected]

the Limousin vs any Red breed posted message.

Jena suggested the use of South devon bulls and really I have contacted the South Devon Association, and I'm looking for bulls or at least for semen for an A.I. program

> Have you tried South Devon as a
> teminal cross?

> dun

[email protected]

I had already use Charolais bulls with my commercial herd but with the full french blood bulls that I use we have calving problems (I sold 8 of those bulls in May and replace them with Simmentals), but still using 4 Charbray bulls(that are very large bulls). If I use black Angus I should sell the heifers too (don't like black) that's why I was looking for Reds (Brangus or Angus) even though I was already using Limousin. Just about ten days ago I bought two Red Brangus bulls that specifically I will use them with the less Brahman influence cows that I have in my commercial herd that way I will keep the heifers, also I'm just considering to give a try with South Devon bulls so I can have a more accurate comparison of the terminal cross calves.

In October I A.I. some Simbrah cows with Tarentaise and I'm anxious to see the calves.(I use Tarentaise because it's dual purpose black pigmented breed)

I really appreciate your comments and you really got the point of what I was talking about

> I may have missed some of your and
> subsequent poster's points --- but
> of course the pure Simmental-Angus
> cross that you refer to above has
> no Brahman influence at all, and
> your proposed Simbrah-Red Brangus
> cross maintains a 3/8 Brahman
> influence since both parents are
> 3/8 Brahman animals. Probably too
> much ear and hump to sell for top
> dollar in the feeder market. But
> if you are talking about crossing
> heifers that are the offspring of
> Simbrah-Red Brangus to a pure
> British or Continental bull you
> will of course wind up with a calf
> with only 3/16 Brahman influence,
> probably with "small"
> ears and no negligible hump and
> probably won't get docked much if
> any.

> You are in deep S. Texas and
> Northern Mexico as I recall. From
> what I can tell through my own
> observations and discussions with
> others I think in SE Texas black
> still sells about the best, along
> with those stocky calves that
> appear to be obvious Charolais
> crosses.

> And in fact many of those
> Charolais sired calves that sell
> in SE Texas have 1/4 Brahman
> influence since they have a tiger
> stripe momma (1/2 Hereford and 1/2
> Brahman). The ear and hump is
> essentially gone on those 1/4
> Brahman calves. I know you like
> the red in your herd, but for your
> terminal cross calves perhaps you
> should strongly consider Charolais
> bulls as well as black angus.

[email protected]

If I cross my commercial herd to Black Angus I could sell all the product of the cross that is Black as Angus just because it's black.

I don't have anything against Angus but people have to began to admit that Angus is not everything, I recognize that a percentage of Angus in a steer will be good but we still need to admit that depending on where are you located a percentage of Brahman will work too.

We have to admit that Full Blood in any Breed will always be better, what's that to be said Black Chianina, Black Hereford and Black so and so, that's incongruous but we admit that Angus will give superior carcass qualities if we are talking of commercial steers or meat market.

If we are talking of registered cattle Full Bloods will always be better than purebreds.

> East of the Mississippi River, and
> north of the gulf coast 300 miles
> of so, Bra X are just not
> wanted.Angus or angus crosses are
> the rule..Some would say
> blacks,And there was a time when
> if it was black and polled it was
> angus.Not now days you name the
> breed,they have black types.. Hell
> ther are even Black Herefords..alf

[email protected]