Simbrahs

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I live in Southeast Texas and have a small herd of mostly beefmaster cows and a simmental bull. They have produced some pretty nice heifers, but I think they need a little more brahman in them. I really like the simbrahs, but their doesn't seem to be alot of information about this line. Can anyone help? Postive or negative information about the breed needed. Thanks!

I think you'll find that a lot of folks down in our part of the state, and especially even closer to the valley and Mexico, really like them and think they make great cows for our environment. Based on the wording of your question I assume that you are wanting to continue to raise replacement heifers --- if that is really not the case then just get a straight British (or possibly Continental) bull.

I've got Beefmaster and tigerstripe cows and I chose to go with a black Brangus bull most recently, but I came real close to buying a black Simbrah from Tom Risinger's ranch when he was dispersing. SE Texas covers a lot of territory --- are you anywhere near Crockett? If so, and if you would consider AI, you may want to go talk with the folks over at Tom Risinger's place about Simbrah semen. Also, I would imagine that there should be a number of good Simbrah breeders in reasonable driving distance from you --- check out the breed association website.

Your Beefmaster cows and Simmie bull are giving you 25% Bos Indicus blooded heifers -- out of curiosity, what problems are you having in particular that make you desire additional "eared" influence? And consider the marketing "hits" you take with increasing ear for your steer calves.

FWIW, note that a lot of folks in our neck of the woods, and areas even further south, are going to 3/16 th's Brahman blood in their herds as opposed to the traditional 3/8 th's (for example the King ranch with their Santa Cruz breed). Apparently they believe they are getting an OVERALL performance and profitability enhancement by reducing the Bos Indicus blood in their herds.

We've had a lot of interest lately in the 3/4 x 1/4 percentage Simbrah cattle.. not as much "ear" as Simbrah, and they can be bred to either Bos Indicus or something with a little Brahman, like a Beefmaster.

Of course I believe Simbrahs are awesome cattle.. but then, I would be biased! :D

Simbrahs are a cross of Simmental and Hereford. When breeding simbrahs, you cant have more than 75% of either your Hereford or Simmental, as it is classed as a crossbred, not purebred.

AussieCowgirl":3pcyynf2 said:
Simbrahs are a cross of Simmental and Hereford. When breeding simbrahs, you cant have more than 75% of either your Hereford or Simmental, as it is classed as a crossbred, not purebred.

HUH?
Where do you think the Hereford comes in? The "brah' part is Brahman, obviously the "Sim" part is Simmenthal.

dun

It's sorta like that registered "Ozarkie" calf you've got for a new avatar: 20% Hereford; 20% Simmental; 20% Brahman; 20% Kangaroo; and 20% fiction.

AussieCowgirl":1vupx8ss said:

This is an old post too, but, a Simbrah is 5/8 Simmental X 3/8 Brahman.

I don't know where you are coming up with Hereford.

Latest posts